Trim Not Working!?

I have a 95 SL780 that I got for free! The previous owner just parked it because he could not get it to rev past 3500 RPM. I joined the green hulk read about deleting the oil inject, rebuilt the carbs, cleaned the gas and I'm up and running. Tops out at 52 MPH.
    All I did was replace the Electric board that was all rusted so I replaced that.

The problem that I have is the trim does not work at all but it shows the trim moving up and down on the display. I'm guessing it has a sensor in the trim motor box that senses when itís all the way up or down but nothing is moving.

I have not checked for pwr to the motor because I see on the display it's moving so I'm guessing something is moving. Wanted to get some info before I tear it apart tonight. Suggestions??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dsedlock View Post
    ...The problem that I have is the trim does not work at all but it shows the trim moving up and down on the display.
    I'm guessing it has a sensor in the trim motor box that senses when itís all the way up or down but nothing is moving.
    Nope, the MFD just watches for the button being pressed, and assumes the trim motor is moving the trim nozzle, so it moves the display indication.

There is no sensor, or any other form of feedback, between the actual trim motor and the display. This is why they can get out of sync with each other over time.

The fix for out-of-sync trim display is to hold the down trim until you hear the trim motor clutch click a few times, then hold the up trim until it again clicks a few times. Then the display should roughly match the actual trim position.

I have not checked for power to the motor because I see on the display it's moving so I'm guessing something is moving.
    Wanted to get some info before I tear it apart tonight. Suggestions??
    You need to check for, or directly apply battery power to the trim motor.

Often, the motor gearbox is rusted stuck, or the gears have failed (stripped), or the motor itself has died a rusty death.

If applying battery power to the trim motor wires (try both polarities) doesn't make the trim move, then you get to pul it out and apart, and see if it can be cleaned up and fixed.

Thanks K447 - I'll try direct battery power first thing and see if it's something I did when putting the electrical box back together. Else, I'll be tearing it apart to see what the deal is.

I just found this link in the forum as well.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...rim#post399563

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dsedlock View Post
    ...I'll try direct battery power first thing and see if it's something I did when putting the electrical box back together.
    Else, I'll be tearing it apart to see what the deal is.

I just found this link in the forum as well.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...rim#post399563
    "...Using an external battery, connect the trim wires to the battery. The trim motor should run. Then switch position of the wires and the motor should run the other direction. Check to see if the Nozzle is actually moving Up and Down..."

If you use your main battery, first disconnect both positive and negative cables, then use it to test the trim.

Be careful you don't short the wires while testing - the battery can deliver a big spark if you do.

Got it - Thanks again!

Thread Information