+1

Sponsons - Any Idea's ?!?!?

Has anyone got any ideas how to remove sponsons that have siezed bolts.
    I have R&D G-Force and want to adjust them from the previous owners setting but one side has button head socket screws(rounded out and not by me) and the other has cheese-head slotted screws. All are stainless steel and all seized.

One option is just to break them off but I dont know what the mounting surface bracket behind them is like ? (Cant use heat cause they are plastic) I.e solid or webbed/machined with just the boses for the three sponson screws ? But it looks solid so I could drill and retap ?

Thanks again guys

+1
    I would try "slotting" the head of the screw with a dremel and use an impact screwdriver and see if they will come out.

+1
    Yeh thought of that, but if thay do break in the mounting bracket solid to allow retapping in a slightly different position or is it hollow with bosses ?

Any one got any of this type of sponson ?

+1
    do what jeff said. if they snap off, use bolt extractor kit

+1
    I'd be tempted to just leave well enough alone.

My experience with extractors is they don't work well, so I REALLY hate breaking bolts.

I would be very carefull with the bolts holding the backing plate to the ski. They go into inserts and you don't want to break them for fear of messing up the insert (that you can't easily repair or replace).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    I'd be tempted to just leave well enough alone.

My experience with extractors is they don't work well, so I REALLY hate breaking bolts.

I would be very carefull with the bolts holding the backing plate to the ski. They go into inserts and you don't want to break them for fear of messing up the insert (that you can't easily repair or replace).
    Yeh man I know what you mean - thats why I was askin you guys. Never had much luck with bolt extractors (steel into alloy) even in workshop conditions with a drill press etc. 265 hrs in salt water they are pretty much 'welded' in there.

Is the backing plate solid on these sponsons. So I could break em off grind the remains flat , then drill and retap ?

Sponsons are full down which is ok for ocean but we have an awesome lake here where races are held almost every Sunday and I'm losing performance.

(Ive just had to snap off three bolts on the thru-hull exhaust exit to I can get to the ride plate inserts to install billet brackets)

I know how you feel... i've snapped off 3 sponson bolts, a transom to wear ring bolt, and a trim tab bolt because of the salt water.

For the sponsons... I just drilled them out and retapped them. Just be careful not to break the drill bits off, too!

If you're going to go the EZ-out route... use a small torch to heat the inserts and possibly break up any red loctite that may be on the bolts. That was the only way that I could get the transom bolt out.

+1
    So you have the same sponsons and they are solid brackets ?

Thread Information