Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: 2008 Flooded

  1. #1
    SE TX Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Beaumont, TX
    Posts
    274

    2008 Flooded

    Yup, found it flooded. I've read 2 other threads about this but no solution.

    Took it to Lake McQueeny, TX and stayed at a lake house along with my family and my Dad's other 2 '08 ultras. Near the boat house where we kept the skis under, it's about 3 ft. deep. Muddy bottom with few rocks,lilly pads GALORE, and other wood debris. And you have to idle out of the no wake zone to the lake for about 200yds.

    We get out to the lake and I had cavitation right off the bat. I hit a huge wake from another boat and I guess knocked whatever was sucked up out. NO more cavitation. Rode around for about 15mins and went back. Remind you I had to idle back.

    Was going to take it out the next day, opened the seat, FILLED with water. It got over the drive shaft (I think). I put it on the trailer and flushed the engine. The engine was running fine during the flush so I guess no water got in there.

    Took it to the dealer today and will find out what was going on in a few days. I will keep you guys posted.

    Thanks Guys,
    -M.C.
    Last edited by SE TX Rider; 07-02-2008 at 09:23 AM.


  2. #2
    sportman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Abu Dhabi-UAE
    Posts
    333
    oh oh not good news, but the good news will be that you was not in open sea and salted water..keep us updated

  3. #3
    GODOSIDIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    735
    Mine flooded also.
    It didnt flood from the cooling hoses.
    It flooded while left at sea overnight.
    It flooded up to the shaft.
    I was using stock plugs.
    It had flooded again the previous time i left it in overnight in the water and i blamed Versiplugs.
    Now i am convinced Versiplugs are innocent.
    My case is very strange.
    While using my ski all Saturday no flooding.
    Sunday i found it flooded.
    I have a bilge pump and i pumped everything out.
    It kept flooding fast!
    I decided to take it for a ride to see if there was some flood while running.
    No flood at all!
    Then i left in the water for at least 4hours,NO FLOOD...
    I filled the hull with fresh water when on trailer but no leak...
    Only guess is the exhaust,maybe the tech guy did something wrong.
    All hoses were triple checked the first time i flooded.
    I am out of ideas...

  4. #4
    SE TX Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Beaumont, TX
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by GODOSIDIS View Post
    Mine flooded also.
    It didnt flood from the cooling hoses.
    It flooded while left at sea overnight.
    It flooded up to the shaft.
    I was using stock plugs.
    It had flooded again the previous time i left it in overnight in the water and i blamed Versiplugs.
    Now i am convinced Versiplugs are innocent.
    My case is very strange.
    While using my ski all Saturday no flooding.
    Sunday i found it flooded.
    I have a bilge pump and i pumped everything out.
    It kept flooding fast!
    I decided to take it for a ride to see if there was some flood while running.
    No flood at all!
    Then i left in the water for at least 4hours,NO FLOOD...
    I filled the hull with fresh water when on trailer but no leak...
    Only guess is the exhaust,maybe the tech guy did something wrong.
    All hoses were triple checked the first time i flooded.
    I am out of ideas...
    Hmmm, hopefully my dealers will find out what's going on. Maybe we both have the same problem.

    Thanks for the replies guys.

    -Mark

  5. #5
    TangorZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by SE TX Rider View Post
    Hmmm, hopefully my dealers will find out what's going on. Maybe we both have the same problem.

    Thanks for the replies guys.

    -Mark
    Major bummer, who did you end up taking it to? From what I've seen of the dealers we have locally none give me a warm fuzzy. Hope they get it root caused and get you back on the water soon.

  6. #6
    curious - look straight down at the hull behind the Pulley and then to the area of the hull that the intake grate screws into - I had / have a leak there - do you do frequent intake grate changes? Sometimes this can cause problems if a screw is overtightned.

    Have you done any modifications to your hull / sponsons?

    The craft's stock bilge will wash that water out as long as you are moving forward. Sounds like your issue is when the craft is sitting still - there's gotta be a hole somewhere...........

    With your craft on the trailer, put some FRESH water in the engine compartment and see where the water comes OUT of..... this should give you an idea. Of course, don't overfill your engine compartment....

  7. #7
    Dubz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,509
    Lift the front of the trailer too when you fill it up. This way you don’t get water in your air intake in case you go inside, and forget you had the water on. Let it sit, to make sure you can see it start drippin, then start removing stuff to get to it. You've checked the exhaust, and all of the hoses, tightened them as well? All the black hoses in the back, check them as well, all the hoses that go to your exuaust too. Keep eliminating stuff. But try filling the hull with some water. DON’T OVERFILL!

  8. #8
    SE TX Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Beaumont, TX
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by TangorZX View Post
    Major bummer, who did you end up taking it to? From what I've seen of the dealers we have locally none give me a warm fuzzy. Hope they get it root caused and get you back on the water soon.
    Tangor,

    I took my ski to Highlands Tractor and Kawasaki. We shall see how good they are in a few days or so when they contact me about what was wrong. If it was a loose hose, then that means they didn't inspect the hoses/ clamps like they said they did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Socaloffshore View Post
    curious - look straight down at the hull behind the Pulley and then to the area of the hull that the intake grate screws into - I had / have a leak there - do you do frequent intake grate changes? Sometimes this can cause problems if a screw is overtightned.

    Have you done any modifications to your hull / sponsons?

    The craft's stock bilge will wash that water out as long as you are moving forward. Sounds like your issue is when the craft is sitting still - there's gotta be a hole somewhere...........

    With your craft on the trailer, put some FRESH water in the engine compartment and see where the water comes OUT of..... this should give you an idea. Of course, don't overfill your engine compartment....
    SoCal,

    I have not taken my intake grate cover off or anything like that. I'm a noob to the jet ski world still and would have no clue what to look for. haha.

    And I have not done any mods to the ski because of warranty purposes. I agree when you said it "sounds like the issue is when the craft is sitting there" I also think the issue is when it's idling too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    Lift the front of the trailer too when you fill it up. This way you don’t get water in your air intake in case you go inside, and forget you had the water on. Let it sit, to make sure you can see it start drippin, then start removing stuff to get to it. You've checked the exhaust, and all of the hoses, tightened them as well? All the black hoses in the back, check them as well, all the hoses that go to your exuaust too. Keep eliminating stuff. But try filling the hull with some water. DON’T OVERFILL!
    Dubz,

    I checked ALL of the hoses and clamps that I could see/find and they were tight from what I could tell. Unless, there is something under the engine that I cannot reach or see. And I would definitely fill the hull like you said to check for leaks but it's already at the dealer.

    Guys,

    Thanks for all of your input. This forum is awesome, and you all have been a great help for filling me with knowledge.

    -Mark

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    down under
    Posts
    645
    +1
    15
    Are the bilge syphon hoses up where they should be?

  10. #10
    Sounds like the thru hull seal is not right on yours.

    I had one that would leak just sitting there. If I rode it then it was fine.

    What I found was that the rubber seal would cool off and pull away from the shaft letting small amounts of water in. This was on a boat that was often left in the water.

    When I was running the seal would heat up and expand making for a tight seal.

    You may need to have the motor lifted to change this seal.

    As always try not to leave the craft in water overnight if its possible. Beach it or get it on the trailer out of the water.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Engine Compartment Flooded FIRST TIME USED
    By autoxracer83 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-13-2006, 08:04 AM
  2. How not to fix a flooded engine.
    By MikeTrin in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 04:41 PM
  3. It's official. GPR till 2008!
    By Mongoose in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 08:32 AM
  4. Flooded with fuel?
    By John in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-19-2006, 06:40 AM
  5. Water-flood sensor
    By omelfata in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-20-2005, 08:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •