Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Chip in my Hull: 2008 STX-15F

Hello guys.. i had a little accident in the water last week... i chipped off a peice of my hull while pulling up to the boat launch... The ship is in the gelcoat and is about 1/2 inch long and 1.5 inches wide (horizontally)
    The fiberglass itself was not harmed or saturated at all..

I had applied some Marine-Tex into the chip and smoothed it out so that the hull resembled the original body line... I let it cure for 24 hours before sanding. Seems pretty solid...Then i painted it with gloss black paint.. looks nice..

However, i just was curious how long this marine-tex stuff has been known to last? should i be worried about it eventually falling off or wearing down? im kinda new to the sport, and just wanted to get some feedback

thanks

Ron

here are some pics..

BEFORE: picture looks bigger then it actually was, lol

AFTER:

Last picture is fron the bottom looking up.. it looks like the paint is messed up, but its just a reflection

+1
    I used marine tex. found at any boat store. west marine. boaters world. about the same size as yours. the stuff wasnt completely black but it smoothed out real nice when it hardened. i would use it again. 8 bucks or so.

this is the stuff here. rapid set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rapid-Set.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	80888  

+1
    Good job!!!!! Looks great... (lets hope it seals )

Quote Originally Posted by benjahw View Post
    I used marine tex. found at any boat store. west marine. boaters world. about the same size as yours. the stuff wasnt completely black but it smoothed out real nice when it hardened. i would use it again. 8 bucks or so.

this is the stuff here. rapid set.
    yeah.. i stated above that i had used the Marine-tex.. i didnt use the Rapid-Set tho.. i used the regular mixure (grey)... i used a 5-1 ratio, as per the mixing instructions.... came out pretty good..

i was more or less checking to see if others have had great success with this marine-tex over a duration of time.. being that its on the "point" of the hull, i was worried it would get weak over time, being that its always comming in contact with the water and especially sand when im pulling up to the shore..

any comments? hehe

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sixtydashone View Post
    yeah.. i stated above that i had used the Marine-tex.. i didnt use the Rapid-Set tho.. i used the regular mixure (grey)... i used a 5-1 ratio, as per the mixing instructions.... came out pretty good..

i was more or less checking to see if others have had great success with this marine-tex over a duration of time.. being that its on the "point" of the hull, i was worried it would get weak over time, being that its always comming in contact with the water and especially sand when im pulling up to the shore..

any comments? hehe
    Also comes in contact with the trailer rest bar thingy. Or not?

Quote Originally Posted by BluUltra250x View Post
    Also comes in contact with the trailer rest bar thingy. Or not?

no.. the hole (or Ex-Hole, lol) is directly in the center of the hull.. right on the point... it wont hit anything when its out of water.. but pulling up on the sand is my concern

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sixtydashone View Post
    no.. the hole (or Ex-Hole, lol) is directly in the center of the hull.. right on the point... it wont hit anything when its out of water.. but pulling up on the sand is my concern
    Get yourself an anchor and dont beach it. We tried it last yr, but the anchors we got worked like SH*T!

+1
    i made a 25 inch long by 1/4" long scratch on the bottom also (alot bigger than yours ), by pulling up to the beach, there was a huge rock that wasnt supposed to be there !!!! damn it. i was so pissed for about a week and then i got over it.

well, i guess it happens.

i used black marine tex also. u definitely need to seal up the fiberglass and not have it exposed, even if its minimal damage and no structural damage. i ride in salt water and its not good to have an open wound.

Quote Originally Posted by inchadeboca View Post
    i made a 25 inch long by 1/4" long scratch on the bottom also (alot bigger than yours ), by pulling up to the beach, there was a huge rock that wasnt supposed to be there !!!! damn it. i was so pissed for about a week and then i got over it.

well, i guess it happens.

i used black marine tex also. u definitely need to seal up the fiberglass and not have it exposed, even if its minimal damage and no structural damage. i ride in salt water and its not good to have an open wound.
    damnn thats huge.. was it just a scratch ? was the fiber exposed? or just a gel-coat crack? just curious

i would never drive with it exposed to water like that.. i guess the real test comes when it goes in the water!

Quote Originally Posted by BluUltra250x View Post
    Get yourself an anchor and dont beach it. We tried it last yr, but the anchors we got worked like SH*T!

so u want me to get an anchor that works like sh*t? lol..... i like beaching it.. its convenient.. i just have that one concern of the marine-tex comming off..

i just wanted to get a little experience from you fellahs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information