Thread: paint chips

paint chips

i have a noticable chip on my 05 red/gray rxp and a layer of fiberglass is showing. does anyone know how i could go about fixing this besides touching it up with gray paint? i also some scratches from docking but im not too worried about those..

Austin, Texas
    If it's a chip down to the fiberglass (but the fiberglass itself isn't damaged) your best bet would be using Marine-Tex.

It comes in grey but I don't know if it will be the right shade to match. It's a fairly easy to use two-part expoxy filler (similar to Bondo). Then you can just sand, paint, and then clear coat the area.

On just the superficial scratches (not to the fiberglass) you can get away with a gelcoat filler or maybe just some touch up paint.

I can provide more detailed instructions if you are interested.

Austin, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlonky1
    Thanks for the response.
    I'm interested in the marine-tex if you truly believe it will get the job done. How do i order it and are there any tricks to filling the cracked area? It's about .5 inches by 1 inch.
    I bought the Marine-Tex I used at a West Marine store before I realized everyone didn't like them. You should be able to find it at a similar boating store or order it offline. If you only have the one area to fix the 2 oz package should be sufficient.

Just prepare the surface like you would any other filler/paint repair:
    -Sand out 1/2" beyond the chip with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper to roughen up the surface for the epoxy to bond.
    -Wipe down the area with acetone to clean off the dirt/debri.
    -Mix up the Marine-Tex as per the instructions.
    -Apply to the chipped area using a rubber body filler squeegee or even a putty knife. Try to get it as smooth as possible so you'll have less to sand later. If it starts balling up on you and sticking to the squeegee/knife you might as well stop, just make sure the chip is filled and you can sand off any excess.
    -Let it dry for the recommended time.
    -Shape to the contour of the surface with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper.
    -Gradually switch to 80, 120, 180, 250, 400 until you have a smooth surface. Each time sanding 1/4" to 1/2" farther around the chip. The idea here is to "feather" the repair with the existing finish.
    -Wipe down with acetone again.
    -Spray a few coats of primer.
    -Spray your final color (a couple of light coats are always better than one heavy one).
    -Spray on clear coat.

* In between coats, particularly between primer and color and color and clear you may need to wet sand with 400, 600, or 1000 to make sure the color and textures blend well. Also, if you mask off any areas to avoid overspray be very careful not to get too much paint in these areas. The masking will cause a line to form against the tape/mask where the paint is a little higher than the original. If this happens you can lightly wet sand it with 600 or 1000 and go back over it with clear.

The key to all of this is patience. It will take some time because of all the sanding and dry time involved. The more you take your time, the better the finish will look.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thread Information