Checking oil pump

I have a 1999 Polaris sltx with the 1050 in it. I havent used it in over a year and want to make sure that the oil pump is still working. Any way to test this without running the motor?

+1
    You need to be able to turn the engine over...so you can pull the spark plugs, pull the oil lines off and just turn it over with the starter, although this isn't really good for the starter...can overheat. The oil pumps are pretty relaible...but if really concerned, the safest way is to premix the gas, take something small that squeezes air and place a small air bubble in the oil lines. Mark the air bubble spot on the line and then go run the watercraft for about 10-15 mins. and then check the air bubble location. If the bubbles have moved towards the carb from the marked spot then you are ok.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JetskiMN View Post
    ...then go run the watercraft for about 10-15 mins...
    Not 15 minutes on the hose in one go... 15 minutes on the water.

Or run it on the hose in two minute (max time) segments, with lots of cool down time in between time for the through-hull bearings.

Grease the through-hull bearing before you start running it on the hose. In fact, grease it anyways, with Marine grade waterproof bearing grease.

+1
    yes I should have clarified run it in the water...I guess I always assume that as I never run the ski on the trailer...but not everyone follows that.

Thanks!!! I will try running it and watch the air bubble. Also if I do have to premix it, do I have to get the block off kit or just leave it all connected? I would hate to have to pull that thing off, its hard to get to.

Also, How do I make sure that the cooling system is working before running it. I'm pretty sure it is but want to be safe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brandoneastland View Post
    Thanks!!! I will try running it and watch the air bubble. Also if I do have to premix it, do I have to get the block off kit or just leave it all connected? I would hate to have to pull that thing off, its hard to get to.
    You don't have to premix the gas...I just mentioned it if you were really concerned about the oil pump not working...it would insure that the engine was getting oil while you were checking out the oil pump function. If you premix for checking, you do not need to block off the oil...that's only if you are planning on going to premix your gas all the time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brandoneastland View Post
    Also, How do I make sure that the cooling system is working before running it. I'm pretty sure it is but want to be safe.
    I'm sure it's fine if you had no problems last time out riding. But if you want to make sure you can install water lines and pissers in place of the water manifold/rail and have the engine water come shooting out one of the sides or the back where you can see it working. It takes a little work to do but like others here, they want that insurance knowing water is flowing through the engine.

Thanks for the help guys!!! or gals?... lol

Thread Information