Thread: 96 Xp Bogging

96 Xp Bogging

I Have A 96 Xp That Will Run Great For A Few Minutes And Then It Will Bog I Can Hold It Wot And Still Only Move Just Above Idle Speed The I Will Shut It Off To Try To Figure It Out And Let It Cool Off For 5 To 10 Minutes While Working On It And It Runs Good For A Few Minutes And Starts Bogging Again I Have Already Disconected The Red Wire From The Rectifire Changed The Plugs What Else Could It Be The Fuel Lines Or Fuel Valve Its Just Weird That When It Cools Off For A Few Minutes It Fine Until It Warms Up Again That Why I Havent Changed The Fuel Lines And Valve Yet . And Its Not Running Hot When Its Running Good Or Bad . The Carbs Are Clean Just Rebuilt About 3 Months Ago It Ran Fine After Rebuilding Them Any Help Will Be Appreciated Want To Ride On The Weekend
    Thanks Les

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Did you change the fuel lines, clean the selector valve and clean/change the fuel filter in the front? I'd start there if you havent....

Stop Obama Express
    My XP did the same exact thing when there was a hole in the rubber exhuast hose between the pipe and the water box. My water regulator took a **** and the hose burned a hole in it.

+1
    check the rectifier. do a search, there is lots of info on it here.

Yes I Unpluged The Rectifire That Was The First Thing I Thought Of Im Going To Change The Fuel Lines And Valve I Will Check The Exhaust Hose Today Its Just Weird That It Only Does It After A Few Minutes Of Running I Would Think If It Was Fuel It Would Do It All The Time Thanks Again Les

+1
    sorry, missed that in your post. if it runs better once it cools off, you could be seizing your engine each time (very slightly). first things first, do the fuel lines and check your fuel filter and clean out your fuel selector switch.

Joe

what did you ever find for a......

solution?

Quote Originally Posted by XP537 View Post
    Yes I Unpluged The Rectifire That Was The First Thing I Thought Of Im Going To Change The Fuel Lines And Valve I Will Check The Exhaust Hose Today Its Just Weird That It Only Does It After A Few Minutes Of Running I Would Think If It Was Fuel It Would Do It All The Time Thanks Again Les

No Soultion Yet

96 xp stroked, coffmans pipe, r&d 61.8mph gps! merfturtle's Avatar
    rectifier has nothing to do with it, it will run fine without a rectifier, just will not charge battery. I would do a fuel system pressure test after changing the fuel lines and check selector valve. If you have the gray fuel lines you need to do this anyway. If you have the stock fuel filter bowl, i would look at that closely as the gasket will leak. When it starts bogging, check the plugs. If they are black you are rich, if they are dry and brown lean. Lean would indicate an air leak somewhere. The fuel tank also has a vent that may become clogged not allowing fuel to flow.

Smile

""The Carbs Are Clean Just Rebuilt About 3 Months Ago It Ran Fine After Rebuilding Them Any Help Will Be Appreciated Want To Ride On The Weekend "" Did you change out the old grey fuel lines???
    Come on guys the first thing you should ever check when a ski is not running properly , is the plugs ,and the compression at the same time,I dont mean change them!!!LOOK AT THEM AND SEE WHAT THEY TELL YOU!!! 99% of the time just looking at the plug tells me if its running lean, fat, has blown a piston and seized, or is seizing.There is one of a few things happening on your ski either it is seizing slightly due to a fuel or cooling problem,or when you rebuilt the carbs you didnt clean out the fuel petcock and replace the grey fuel lines!!! or your balance shaft bearings are locking up and it is seizing less likely but I have seen it happen quite a bit.OR if you still are running your grey fuel lines they could be causing fuel problem(run lean ,then hot)You can bet its a heat associated problem or a fuel problem because it runs good when cool,unless its set so fat that it will only run cold(very doubtful)Hey just my humble opinion>Marvin
    Last edited by mrjetskey; 08-03-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Thread Information