Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Stable than GTX

2 33.33%
  • Just as Stable as GTX

1 16.67%
  • Slightly Less Stable than GTX but More Fun Overall

2 33.33%
  • Significantly Less Stable than GTX; and if I am truly concerned about stability stay with GTX

1 16.67%

Stability Question 07 GTI-SE vs. 05-06 GTX

I have completed searches and read through many posts on this topic but needed extra assurance through my own thread that would specifically answer my question.

I am looking at picking up a ski. I have recently rode a Kawasaki STX 12-F in Laughlin at the Colorado River. I enjoyed, thought it had good pick up decent top end speed, and overall decent performance. I had been looking at getting a GTI-SE and found a rental place with GTIs.

As I rode the GTI, I could not help but feel I was in less control of the boat. It definitlety had more torque and agility than the Kawi 12-F but I felt it was much more unstable. I took my mom then wife out and they sat behind and the ski felt like it wanted to roll over.

Has anyone had this type of stability issue with the GTIs. I felt that the ski was much more fun when riding by myself and the increased manuverability was evident but, I do plan to have people with me quite often and take it in the ocean here in CA so I do not want something that will constantly feel like it is going to go over.

The decision then needs to be made do I go for a new 07 GTI-SE 155HP or a 05 or 06 GTX. I have found some on Craigslist that are used that are about $2,000 less @ $5,500 than the new GTI-SE I am looking at which I may be able to get out the door for $7,500

I am not looking for speeds of over 60 mph, so the 155 HP on either ski is fine for me. I want to make sure that the ski I get is stable though, that is my main concern. Anyone who can help me with this please reply and let me know your thoughts.

From other posts I have gathered that the GTI is more playful (ie. less stable) than the GTX but I kind of want to know how much more stable the GTX is as opposed to the 07 GTI-SE. or if the stability is something you get used to.

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by GTI-SE4426; 07-02-2008 at 12:10 AM.

+1
    I have an '08 GTI SE 155, this is the first ski I have owned. The first time I took it out with additional riders on, I also felt as if it was going to tip over. I quickly learned that you just need to tell your riders to lean with you, as you turn, and then its fine. Balance is important, and I'm guessing this is the same for most other skis. If towing is important to you, I was impressed by the way the ski handled the tube that I was towing. Granted, I have never been on a GTX, but stability on the GTI is by no means a problem.

I have been on yamahas, hondas and seadoos with another person, and none of them are as stable with two people as with one. It is just a lot of extra weight. Especially when stopped, it will feel kind of tippy. I don't see the GTX specifically feeling anymore stable, although I have never been on one of those with a rider. Once you are stopped with 350 or more pounds on the ski, nothing is going to make it feel like a boat. Just my experience.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I have only seen a GTX flipped with 2 riders aboard and that was at MB3 last year. You do not get a tippy feeling with 2 riders on a GTX/RXT and I weigh 300#.

thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    I have only seen a GTX flipped with 2 riders aboard and that was at MB3 last year. You do not get a tippy feeling with 2 riders on a GTX/RXT and I weigh 300#.
    I guess it depends on your version of "tippy". You take someone who doesn't ride often and they always seem to think they are gonna fall off with two people, but you take someone who is into powersports and they don't notice a thing. I was assuming it was just a casual rider, and it was just my opnion.

Thread Information