Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1st time on FX HO in 8 foot swells (long)

Took my 2008 FX HO along with 3 other guys to the Atlantic this past weekend. There was a small craft advisory, but we went anyway.
    Well, the waves were great and could easily toss the HO out of the water.

My only other experience in swells was on my 2004 STX12f. Compared to that Kawa, the HO was much more enjoyables. Alot less 'slamming' on the hull. The HO seems to leap in the air and lay back into the water rear first....important for non-jarring landings.

Only real grip....when the swells started to get around 10 feet the side footwell started holding water (when hit from the side). Problem is...if one side filled the craft begain to lean heavily to that side....giving me a 'feeling' of flipping over. Not good! We headed in once they hit 10 feet +.
    The 12f never had this problem as the water drains much easier.

As a side note, my buddies 15f (exhaust/K&N) was dead on even with my FX (exhaust/K&N). We went WOT on the ICW and were evenly matched until someone left off.

yes i noticed that aswell on the 08 fx 160 and then when i bought the sho the first thing i notice was that it didnt do that, the sho is extremely stable and you wont fall off unless you want to. enjoy the fx i did

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Took my 2008 FX HO along with 3 other guys to the Atlantic this past weekend. There was a small craft advisory, but we went anyway.
    Well, the waves were great and could easily toss the HO out of the water.

My only other experience in swells was on my 2004 STX12f. Compared to that Kawa, the HO was much more enjoyables. Alot less 'slamming' on the hull. The HO seems to leap in the air and lay back into the water rear first....important for non-jarring landings.

Only real grip....when the swells started to get around 10 feet the side footwell started holding water (when hit from the side). Problem is...if one side filled the craft begain to lean heavily to that side....giving me a 'feeling' of flipping over. Not good! We headed in once they hit 10 feet +.
    The 12f never had this problem as the water drains much easier.

As a side note, my buddies 15f (exhaust/K&N) was dead on even with my FX (exhaust/K&N). We went WOT on the ICW and were evenly matched until someone left off.
    Found an ez and fun way to get the water out of the footwell......mash the throttle!!!
    That water will come right out....

that will do it, but it was a problem when you nearly came to a stop, it made it unstable

yeah, i hear ya on the throttle...it works, but when you out there for an hour or so you cannot stay on the throttle....you need time to recoup some energy.

Great fun though and i'm loving the HO..fuel consumption was great, much better than my 12f. A buddy was riding it and the 12f had the fuel warning buzzer whining while i had 1/2 tank remaining.

yeh i hear ya, great on fuel ah ah the memmories

+1
    Feet got wet on a watercraft??? Be still my heart!

my FX (exhaust/K&N).
    Are you talking about the Riva free flow exhaust?

not the Riva exhaust, i made one myself. Works and looks great and the price...well, how is $6 at Lowes Home Improvement sound.

Sounds great at low speed...can't hear it above that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    yeah, i hear ya on the throttle...it works, but when you out there for an hour or so you cannot stay on the throttle....you need time to recoup some energy.

Great fun though and i'm loving the HO..fuel consumption was great, much better than my 12f. A buddy was riding it and the 12f had the fuel warning buzzer whining while i had 1/2 tank remaining.
    the kwakas fuel gadges seem to be crap
    the 15f's that i ride with have there buzzers go off way early but we use about the same fuel when measured at the servo

kev

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information