+1

putting in a bilge pump on my 15f

i am a little concerned about my clamps at the rear coming loose on my free flow exh, and getting water in engine and hull, so i have decided to put in a 500gph rule automatic pump just as a safety precaution, it wont hurt. i am thinking i am going to place it all the way in the back/rear of the hull, right next to the free flow and the drain plug, somewhere in that area. i really dont want to get too complicated with this install, so i will not be drilling up front for any bilge switches, i am going to go with the auto rule pump (a little pricier). i am thinking i will put the connections to the battery with some type of marine quick disconnect plug. what to u guys think.

any pics, suggestions, tips if you have one installed would be nice.

oh by the way, the auto bilge pump cycles every few seconds and if water is detected, it basically turns on until all the h2o is out.

I also installed an auto bilge pump in my ski's.. (STX 12F & 15F)... for ocean riding. It's my small insurance in case I'm 20-40 miles from land

Anyway, I used a RULE 500 gph pump as well, but I placed mine in the lowest area I could find.. which seemed like inside the boxed area where the drive shaft(?) goes through... so basically right behind the engine.
    I tucked the pump under the ledge, off to the starboard side, and have it kinda squashed in place using firm packaging foam blocks (the white stuff... but not styrofoam). The bilge pump is not visible anymore, and only a small part of the foam is showing now. It does not interfere w/ any of the drive train, and took up no other usable space. On top of that, it was easy to mount, and is very close to the battery too.

For a switch, I decided not to go with the automatic float types, because the logic seems kinda lame to me. I would need to wire an on/off switch with that... or like you said, make a connector to disconnect when not in use. My route was to use a Johnson Ultima automatic switch ($35)

SKU: JPI 36303
    Patented Mirus field effect detector cells producing micro-electrical fields that detect disruptions caused by water and fluids. Detector cells are totally sealed and are never in contact with water, will not corrode and are not affected by oil or foreign debris. No moving parts. Totally sealed solid state electronics.

On top of it being a small black box w/ no moving parts, the sensors have a very minimal battery drain, so I just leave it hooked up always. When my ski's are at home, they go on a battery float charger anyway, and I've never ever had a problem yet... knock on wood. basically, I zip tied the Ultima switch to the bilge pump, and it seems fine. I have the same setup on my 19' cuddy boat as well, and it works great... even with oily, dirty bilge, no problem. I tested them each in a sink to really see if they work, and it's fantastic. Once the 2 sensors touch a liquid, the pump activates. So far my ski's have been bone dry inside.. even in swells and chops... but in case water does find its way in... and the stock bilge has failed, I feel very confident in this setup.

I don't know if this helps or not.. but this was the driection I took~
    Good luck!~

+1
    I highly recommend that you place the exit somewhere that you can see it. I just had a hose come off on my XP last weekend and I did not know that I was spitting out water because the bilge exit is at the rear of the ski.

Good point...

I setup my bilge to exit on the port side between the 2 factory hook points.... it should be visible when a stream of water shoots outta there... (it shoots out like a garden hose on my boat)

+1
    good idea about the bilge exit, i thought about the rear of the craft being a bad idea for that same reason.

the pumps are about 85 bucks, pretty pricey for the auto one. the regular one is 25-30 bucks. well, u get what u pay for. i havent gotten a chance to install it yet. but thanks for the input

Thread Information