Strainers: Good or Bad Experience?

Are strainers worth installing after an intercooler install, Ive read mixed emotions on here about them and wanted to see people who have had personal experience. I can see how you can easily get in to trouble with one if you purchase a cheap one but dont know if even an expensive one will flow as good as just the line to the IC and eventually affect performance.

Quote Originally Posted by excess
    Are strainers worth installing after an intercooler install, Ive read mixed emotions on here about them and wanted to see people who have had personal experience. I can see how you can easily get in to trouble with one if you purchase a cheap one but dont know if even an expensive one will flow as good as just the line to the IC and eventually affect performance.
    This is a good question! I`ve seen very expensive strainer designed for IC applications in race boats that retail for $550.00, although excellent qualty and leak-proof, I can def see our concern with a plastic cheapy that would fail from the pump pressures or surges...

Anybody use one, lets here about it please!?...PR...

+1
    Good question Johnny, i don't run one on either of my skis and have never had a problem.

I used to run one, but melted the baffles in my waterbox and fought repeated hi-temps warnings in the exhaust. The only reason was because I put a 1/2" 45 degree elbow in the 3/4" raw water line so that I would not kink the line. Well, the reducer affected the flow to the ic. So - no more strainer. The strainer with pics are on the following thread. Best of luck, but be careful about impeding the flow.

http://www.greenhulk.net/4tec/showth...?t=1583&page=2

BTW: PR - Can I make it all the way to the Mullica from the Barnagat lighthouse? In the bay obviously! How far?

Thx,
    Brendan

+1
    I have a plastic one that is used with my xpower intercooler, 25 hours on it. Works real well... a few small weeds get trapped in it over a weekend....nothing to effect performance. The weed beds are at the top of the water too. This last weekend a piece of blue silicone was trapped in it. So there is other stuff in the water besides weeds that can be picked up.

+1
    The decision to use a strainer or not partially depends on the water where you ride. If the water is crystal clear with no weeds. twigs, leaves or man made garbage and you never run the shallows or beach your craft, you don't need a strainer. Such a location maight be found in a screen enclosed swimming pool !! Otherwise I would recommend to always use a quality strainer. Not one of the cheap plastic ones they market for PWC. These will cause more problems than they solve. They can crack or leak and could sink your boat. The best strainer I have found is one made of nylon...not brittle plastic, and has a 100 psi pressure rating. It's made by Groco, model WSB 750. www.groco.net . I use them in all my skis and never had a problem. It doesn't take much to clog up the small water passages in an intercooler or even the block (on open circuit systems). You won't believe all the poop (can't use the other word here) it catches, even when you think the water is clean.

Richard

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1
    Strainers break and make your ski sink

Strainers slow water flow and make your ski overheat

Strainers are more hassle than help in my opinion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 11
    "Strainers break and make your ski sink"

Only those cheap mini sized plastic strainers break !

"Strainers slow water flow and make your ski overheat"

Not if you use a decent sized strainer and don't use 90 degree fittings during installation. Crap clogging the engine water passages WILL make it overheat !

"Strainers are more hassle than help in my opinion.
    "

Clean them regularly, check clamps and cap for tightness and there is no downside or "hassle" using them. Riva recommends anyone using their intercooler to use a strainer. Intercoolers can clog up quickly and loose efficency.

Richard

I installed the strainer Richard recommended and no more high temp alarms even in warmer water. The Riva IC, or any efficient IC, is sensitive to debris flowing through it. It will act as a collection point and efficiency will likely be ruduced over time if a strainer is not used (in my case 10 hrs) . Riva thought a stainer upstream of the IC was a good idea when I called them. But make sure to use the strainer Richard recommends or one rated to at least 100psig and has 3/4 ID connections to ensure flow is not reduced, and make sure to remove the IC and backflush and shake it to ensure it is clean it before installing the strainer.

Thread Information