Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1996 Seadoo Sp Oil In Hull New Here Help Please!

Hello, I just purchased a 1996 Seadoo SP 587. This is my first Wavrunner and I don't know anything about them. Got it home and noticed oil in the hull. I don't believe the previous owner realized it. He never touched anything on it and it sat in the water on the dock all the time. I cleaned it out to see where the oil is coming from. I tipped the jetski up and oil runs from front of hull. Don't know if this is accumilated oil or not. It seems like it is leaking PTO side also. If you put your hand underneath PTO side there is oil on bottom side of motor. Is there an oil line on that side? If so, how do I get to it to tighten it? Can I just pull the waterpump off? Also on the airbox side I can feel a little oil where the hose connections are. Can I take the airbox off to get at these? What hoses would be leaking from rear of ski? Also the owner said he had battery issues. He said he had to put a new battery in every year. It was only driven 2-3 hours total each year for past 3 years. I also noticed the spark plugs that are in it are BR9EVX, the owners manual states BR7ES is required. Sorry for all the questions, any help would be much appreciated!! Thank you!!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CENA View Post
    Hello, I just purchased a 1996 Seadoo SP 587. This is my first Wavrunner and I don't know anything about them. Got it home and noticed oil in the hull. I don't believe the previous owner realized it. He never touched anything on it and it sat in the water on the dock all the time. I cleaned it out to see where the oil is coming from. I tipped the jetski up and oil runs from front of hull. Don't know if this is accumilated oil or not. It seems like it is leaking PTO side also. If you put your hand underneath PTO side there is oil on bottom side of motor. Is there an oil line on that side? If so, how do I get to it to tighten it? Can I just pull the waterpump off? Also on the airbox side I can feel a little oil where the hose connections are. Can I take the airbox off to get at these? What hoses would be leaking from rear of ski? Also the owner said he had battery issues. He said he had to put a new battery in every year. It was only driven 2-3 hours total each year for past 3 years. I also noticed the spark plugs that are in it are BR9EVX, the owners manual states BR7ES is required. Sorry for all the questions, any help would be much appreciated!! Thank you!!
    Welcome to the Hulk!
    First things first. Does it run? Sounds like this ski needs alot of TLC. To address the issue there are two oil lines that go to the bottom of the case. one feeding it (carb side) the other is a return(on the exhaust side). follow them to the tank and see if they are leaking. It may also be the tank. Over the years the lines may have dryrotted and cracked. You may want to replace them. When the oil gets on the bottom of the hull it gets everywhere so it will feel like the oil is coming from different places. You can take the air box off to get a better view with out any problem. Just a couple of alen head bolts. The exhaust side you may need to get a new exhaust gasket or two. There is another line that has a filter on it that goes to the oil pump. Might want to replace the little oil lines that go to the intake. Check that also and make sure that the pump is intact.
    As for the battery problem, that is normal if they sit for a long time. if it has issues running then that would be the grey box up front, but your a little ways from that issue yet.
    As for the plugs change them back to the BR7ES.
    After you fix the oil problem you need to start on the carb(s) they most likely need rebuilt. It sounds tough, but its really quite simple and worth every penny. If it has grey fuel lines they will need to be changed too.
    Hope that this is not over welming. Its the shortest route to a reliable machine. Otherwise you will be wrenching alot more. Trust me from experience I know.
    Dont worry about asking alot of questions, thats what the Hulk is for! Good Luck!

Thanks for the info!! Yes, it runs great. Just has the starting issue and oil issue. You described everything nicely. Hope I can figure everything out and get those lines changed. Can I get the lines from a car parts store or other store that carries hoses? Thanks again!

+1
    yea, your going to need a roll of 1/4in for the fuel line I believe.Your not going to use the whole thing but extra is nice. I forgot to add earlier that you need to clean the fuel selector too... it comes apart.
    For the small lines on the oil pump I used fuel lines for a chainsaw or weedeater from Lowes. (it comes in 3ft sections) and the main oil lines you can use something from the plumbing section at Lowes make sure its thick enough.
    When you do the fuel lines, do the carbs so you dont make a mess twice. The rebuild kits are not that expensive and worth every penny. WaterWorx(Dan) will hook ya up with what you need.

You sure are right about it seeming like there is oil everywhere! I was really worried about this thing. But now not so much. Like I said, I cleaned it and there is minimal amount of oil leaking right now. So I assume for sure it is these lines. The fuel lines look very old. I was going to sell it, wife wants me too, but I will wait and see after I get it cleaned up. I just bought it to make a buck, but I don't want sell it like that. Either way I will make money on it, whether I keep it or not. (Hopefully keep it!) Do you think it is worth keeping? Should I get something newer? Are there any bad things about the SPs? Like I said it is my first one! Thanks!

Banned User
    It's a decent enough boat. But all the boats of this generation will have similar problems. I had a 96 GSX fill up a hull with oil. It was definitely the clear tubing - it had hardened and cracked at the most impossible location of the engine compartment:

This required using mirrors and lots of feeling around.

Drain the existing oil out of the reservoir. Disconnect the oil tubes and replace with new clear vinyl tubing from ACE hardware or similar.

Fuel lines require replacement with automotive rubber hoses. More involved, but similar concept.

But from what I've been reading and what I have experienced with mid 90s HX, GSX and GTX, a couple of hundred bucks and some research on the web will make these boats quite serviceable for a lot less than buying newer craft.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CENA View Post
    You sure are right about it seeming like there is oil everywhere! I was really worried about this thing. But now not so much. Like I said, I cleaned it and there is minimal amount of oil leaking right now. So I assume for sure it is these lines. The fuel lines look very old. I was going to sell it, wife wants me too, but I will wait and see after I get it cleaned up. I just bought it to make a buck, but I don't want sell it like that. Either way I will make money on it, whether I keep it or not. (Hopefully keep it!) Do you think it is worth keeping? Should I get something newer? Are there any bad things about the SPs? Like I said it is my first one! Thanks!
    The 90's and most 2k boats are a heck of a lot cheaper to work on and a lot of fun IMO. The X-4 Hulls are great for jumping and carving too.
    If the fuel lines are grey, they need replaced. they have a tendency to break down and plug the screens in the carbs which equals KABOOM! If you get all the parts lined up and your somewhat mechanically enclined you can do this in a weekend.
    Personally i would keep it. Its good to learn on. The only thing about an SP is that its got the smallest motor in it.
    BTW do you have pictures of the ski? pictures help a lot too! As for cleaning it up there are a lot of cosmetic things that you can doo. look at the pics and video tab you will get a lot of ideas form there to clean up the appearence

Master of the Dooniverse
    the clear oil lines from the tank rarely crack or split.
    my guess would be one of the hose clamps got overitghtened and cut the oil pump supply or rotary valve gear bath hoses. if you keep the ski tipped up overnight so all the oil at the front of the hull drains back, clean it up then resettle the ski level you'll get the idea where it's coming from very clearly. in any case, lines or not it's an easy fix. hard starting is liekly due to bad filters in the carbs. clean the carbs and replace the lines asd indicated. that is standard for skis of that vintage regardless.

getting waterlogged hotrod_sxty8's Avatar
    one other posibility is the smaller oil lines from the pump is split. I had one of the oiler lines on my xp break yes they do indeed break!, it wasn't broken all the way through so it was kinda hard to spot but It made a mess of the hull. it was an easy fix I just pulled off the entire intake manifold and replaced the lines and used the old clamps and since I had the carbs off I took them apart and cleaned them out you have to be careeful when taking them apart if your not re-building them so you dont mess up the gaskets.
    I have since switched the ski over to premix (now I don't have to worry about the oiler lines)
    when you clean out the hull use simple green it works great at getting rid of the oil.
    just wondering have you done a compression test on the motor yet you didn't mention if it was running or not? before I got too carried away with all the small details I suggest a compression test. this way you can go from there if it has good compression then go on to the oil lines carbs etc...but if the compression is below 140psi ( I'm not sure what the reccomended compression is on the 587) or if there is more than 10psi difference on the cylinders the internals are going to need some work.
    if you dont have a compression tester you can probably buy/rent one at autozone..
    oh yeah if you havn't bought a battery for it yet you can use a car battery to do the testing on it. you can use jumper cables but what I did on mine was I made up a set of "extended" battery cables outta some 8ga car audio power wire I had laying around and bolted the cables to the skis battery cables. this way if something major is wrong with the motor you wont spend a small fortune on a battery you can't use..
    as for the other battery problem for the past 3 yrs I have had to replace the batteries in my skis but this year I'm going to get one of those battery tenders for the winter we'll see how that works out...
    Last edited by hotrod_sxty8; 07-03-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod_sxty8 View Post
    one other posibility is the smaller oil lines from the pump is split. I had one of the oiler lines on my xp break yes they do indeed break!, it wasn't broken all the way through so it was kinda hard to spot but It made a mess of the hull. it was an easy fix I just pulled off the entire intake manifold and replaced the lines and used the old clamps and since I had the carbs off I took them apart and cleaned them out you have to be careeful when taking them apart if your not re-building them so you dont mess up the gaskets.
    I have since switched the ski over to premix (now I don't have to worry about the oiler lines)
    when you clean out the hull use simple green it works great at getting rid of the oil.
    just wondering have you done a compression test on the motor yet you didn't mention if it was running or not? before I got too carried away with all the small details I suggest a compression test. this way you can go from there if it has good compression then go on to the oil lines carbs etc...but if the compression is below 140psi ( I'm not sure what the reccomended compression is on the 587) or if there is more than 10psi difference on the cylinders the internals are going to need some work.
    if you dont have a compression tester you can probably buy/rent one at autozone..
    oh yeah if you havn't bought a battery for it yet you can use a car battery to do the testing on it. you can use jumper cables but what I did on mine was I made up a set of "extended" battery cables outta some 8ga car audio power wire I had laying around and bolted the cables to the skis battery cables. this way if something major is wrong with the motor you wont spend a small fortune on a battery you can't use..
    as for the other battery problem for the past 3 yrs I have had to replace the batteries in my skis but this year I'm going to get one of those battery tenders for the winter we'll see how that works out...

Just letting you know, it runs great! I will still do a compression test on it. I will replace the lines first though. I looked at it closer today and noticed that both oil hose fittings on the oil tank are leaking. So, I think I have to replace every line and fitting on this thing. Hope I can get it done Saturday. Do I need to get the fittings from a dealer?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information