Thread: RPM Limiter?

RPM Limiter?

Is their anyway to set something up so when I flip a switch it will limit the engines RPM? Everytime I go out I have about a mile of 6 mph creek to go before I get to the bay which where speed is not limited. There's also 3 guys that enjoy yelling at me, my friends and my family for going to fast in and out of this creek, they've called DNR twice (maryland's marine and wildelife police) even though we typically only travel about 3 mph.

What i'm looking for is that when coming in the creek, is there anyway to hook something up (externmal switch) to limit the engines RPM. typically I just shove the lanyard wire between the gap of the throttle and thats about perfect speed but no one else does that and its hard to maintain a decent speed just over idle.

+1
    Not sure what model watercraft you are riding but why can't you just adjust your idle set screw on the carbs to run at a little higher rpm...like around 1700 rpms. That should have you go about 4-5mph. How fast do you want to be going? Normal idle speed is just around 3mph to begin with...normal idle rpm is around 1350rpms...this is for the Polaris domestic engine watercraft.

Not aware of a switch thing that you could do to get what you want.
    Last edited by 32DegH2O; 07-03-2008 at 08:05 AM.

sorry about that, I have a MSX 140 ho. I idle around 1150 at about 1 or 2 mph. i'd like to idle around 4 or 5

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by laxidiot87 View Post
    sorry about that, I have a MSX 140 ho. I idle around 1150 at about 1 or 2 mph. I'd like to idle around 4 or 5
    Quote Originally Posted by laxidiot87 View Post
    Is their anyway to set something up so when I flip a switch it will limit the engines RPM? ... (external switch) to limit the engines RPM...
    Hmmm, there might be a way to do something like this.

Yamaha has something similar on their SHO model, called Yamaha Cruise Assist, which can lock in ANY engine RPM, and hold it there until the throttle is released. I have been toying with something similar for the Ficht system.

The MSX 140 is a Ficht fuel injected engine, and engine power is controlled electronically by the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). When you squeeze the throttle, what you are really doing is turning the throttle shaft controlling the TPS sensor, which then adjusts the fuel injection flow into the engine to match.

What we need is a way to modify the TPS feed into the EMM engine controller. Your MSX 140 already has one device that overrides the TPS signal, the Enhanced Steering Performance (ESP) system.

The ESP controller will over-ride the real TPS signal, and increase engine power if you are trying to steer with the throttle closed, but hull speed through the water is higher than 15Mph. It does this by sending a TPS signal to the EMM that is higher than the real TPS signal.

Let me ponder this...

Last edited by K447; 07-03-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Thread Information