Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Jim, these guys are getting porpoising with your plate and shimming

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...404#post702404

every hull is different but is shimming the plate the only way to rid the rxp of porpoise?
    Last edited by dav_dman; 07-04-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I guess you've never seen some Yami boys at the boat launch parking lot before. They will have their calipers and box of washers out doing all kinds of adjustments.

Jim is the Yami ride plate guru. He took that knowledge and applied it to the Sea Doo pide plate. At the upper speeds shimming of the plates will be required. Shimming will be reqired on stock plates at higher speeds also. Jerry learned all this through his GPRXP. These ski's were designed and set up to go 70 mph. Adjustments will have to be made. No two ski's are alike so there is no way to come up with a custom ride plate that will fit every ski perfectly at the higher speeds where the porpoising occurs.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    I guess you've never seen some Yami boys at the boat launch parking lot before. They will have their calipers and box of washers out doing all kinds of adjustments.

Jim is the Yami ride plate guru. He took that knowledge and applied it to the Sea Doo pide plate. At the upper speeds shimming of the plates will be required. Shimming will be reqired on stock plates at higher speeds also. Jerry learned all this through his GPRXP. These ski's were designed and set up to go 70 mph. Adjustments will have to be made. No two ski's are alike so there is no way to come up with a custom ride plate that will fit every ski perfectly at the higher speeds where the porpoising occurs.
    +1

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post

just an fyi.. is the angle you machine 30 thou too much?

are others having this issue?

every hull is different but is shimming the plate the only way to rid the rxp of porpoise?
    There is not 2 ski's alike every ski will act different, If i do not angle enough then the customer will have to send the plate back to get recut if he needs more angle. I have seen stock plates porpoise depending on set up of the ski. a 70 mph. ski is going to act different than a 80 mph. then a 90 mph.ski You have to understand it is not just a bolt on and your done.

Look at the Yamaha guys they spend days and days fine tuning there plates, Trim tabs, and handling on there ski's to get the most of it. It's part of the hull tuning process and they understand that it's part of getting the best out of there ski.

Every thing has a factor weight, riding position, wedge or no wedge, speed, hull condition, Trim position, So on and so on. So just buying a plate and bolt it on i would say you are not getting all you can from the plate or any other part for that matter.
    Last edited by JIM'S PERFORMANCE; 07-03-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    There is not 2 ski's alike every ski will act different, If i do not angle enough then the customer will have to send the plate back to get recut if he needs more angle. I have seen stock plates porpoise depending on set up of the ski. a 70 mph. ski is going to act different than a 80 mph. then a 90 mph.ski You have to understand it is not just a bolt on and your done.

Look at the Yamaha guys they spend days and days fine tuning there plates, Trim tabs, and handling on there ski's to get the most of it. It's part of the hull tuning process and they understand that it's part of getting the best out of there ski.

Every thing has a factor weight, riding position, wedge or no wedge, speed, hull condition, Trim position, So on and so on. So just buying a plate and bolt it on i would say you are not getting all you can from the plate or any other part for that matter.
    +1
    Last edited by GPRXPJared; 07-03-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post

just an fyi.. is the angle you machine 30 thou too much?

are others having this issue?

Jps 'you're an arse' comment, cause you ALL knew it was coming...

What's the point of this post?

ANYBODY getting a MOD like this done should have enough knowledge/experience to know that something like this is beyond a bolt-and-go mod.

C'mon Dave, you know better than to make a newby, amateur post like this...

Jim takes a OEM ride plate and modifies it for a more efficient design, thus less material in the water=more likely to porpose. If you aren't ready to work out your ride/performance issues, DON'T DO IT...

JP

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post

This man has been paying very close attention

+1
    guys I had a gpr.

We shimmed the front and the back , to dial it in.
    We also had shims for the tabs to elim porpoise; and stepped spons...so we could use all the angle Jim gave us.

I don't see that opportunity with the rxp plate or hull.

And if i get Jim's plate...and pay $ for the angle..then i don't want to shim it back down and push more hull back into the water after his plate has lifted it out. I mean read the thread i posted..they are trimming up the nozzle and shimming down the plate. The two work opposite of each other.

Does that make sense to you all?

My question is
    1) if so many are porpoising then maybe the angle is too much?..
    But i agree its easier to shim it back down.
    2) is there another way to reduce porpoise, like stepping spons (gpr again) so we can use all that angle that Jim gives us?

I just didnt think shimming down the rear of the plate was anything we did anymore..if looking for speed.
    Last edited by dav_dman; 07-04-2008 at 11:06 AM.

+1
    Your reactions surprised me. I had to take another look at my thread; and now i see how my thread title might have come off different than i meant it...might be taken as a slam against Jim and that's not what i meant at all.

Jim i meant no disrespect.. just stating what was being done as evidenced in the other thread. You do FANTASTIC work and i like your plate work; which is why i posted these questions in the first place.
    Last edited by dav_dman; 07-04-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    This man has been paying very close attention
    The first time I saw Jim doing his thing I was like "wtf"? BTW, that was on Jerry's GPRXP that then became a 90mph beast. Ahh, the good old days.

The quest for speed is under the boats, boys. I spent more time under my RXT then I did in the engine compartment. I wasn't satisfied until every transition was smooth, skegs were perfect and every gap was filled correctly. That's why my stock RXT was running the same speeds as stage II's at the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information