Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

900 STX HELP!! plzz

hello all...just bought a 2000 900 stx for 1000 bucks and has a new engine that the guy let sit just after replacing..new block and had the carbs redone... now that is has sat it takes a can of starter being shot into the intake for it to start. Usually after it gets started it runs ok. Any ideas about how to fix this problem without having to tear the carbs out and having them serviced??? thanks everyone for your help

+1
    Im assuming your using the choke...have you checked to verify the choke is working and even hooked up...of where the choke plates removed..??

Possible from sitting though...carbs will have to be gone over or cleaned anyway

900 stx

what is a choke plate?? i am learning everything about this i can. i would love to make this ski faster cause it maxes out at around 50mph... what can i do to make it faster with a budget?

+1
    ha ha thats funny ...not being mean but didnt know how much you knew about these things.

Um not totally sure but on your ski your should have a fuel selection knob. On, off and reserve. Probably around your right knee if your sitting on it.

On the other side which those are cowlings...by your left knee there should be another knob or selector switch. This should be your choke. It should say on off.

How this works is...

When your gonna fire the ski for the first time of the day you want to set the choke to on.

Crank it over....no throttle untill it pops off or actually starts running if it stays running let it run for about 10secs then turn the choke off while it's running. Then leaving it running go ahead a rap the throttle 2 to 3 times, then shut it down.
    Running your ski out of the water will not hurt it unless you run it to long and burn it up. 30 secs out of the water is fine for just about anything.

I recommend runnning it like this before you leave your house everytime then one more time at the ramp, just a quick pop off just in case before you put it in the water. Nothing like putting it in then parking the truck and the ski not fire.

Mainly because you will fire the ski at home and it's fine ,,then drive down the road 10 to 30 mins and your battery cable was just loose enough to where it got looser on the drive to enough to where it wont start.

So go take a look for a choke switch and this should help your starting problem.

Hope this helps

"I actually found it ...it's on the consol inbetween your legs if your sitting on it" Little black knob says choke. Pull it ..
    Last edited by jonny5; 07-04-2008 at 01:48 AM.

The 900STX are notorious for cold starts and getting warm, you have to master the fine art of choking, unless you get a primer kit which gets gas to all 3 carbs. You're not gonna get much more than 50 out of a stock model...run some carb cleaner through it, get some good gas, wax the bottom of the hull...enjoy.
    Then there are some mods you can do that will get you close to 60'ish if you spend some $. But the 900 is fun at 50, it will 360 better than any 3 seater.

+1

Primer Kit

This Unit Has Constant Velocity Carbs, Notorious For Hard Starting When Cold . I'd Recomend A $35 Dollar Primer Kit.......makes Life Alot Easier..... My Two Cents

thanks SCSFAB! where do i get a primer kit for this ski.. Is it easy to install? What is i still a ride plate or a better prop; will this give me more MPH?

+1
    The 900 shouldn't have cv carbs. The 1100 did.

Quote Originally Posted by thesepaperwings View Post
    The 900 shouldn't have cv carbs. The 1100 did.

+1 the 1100 STX and 1100 ZXi had the CV...bu the primer kit is still the way to go.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1009&r=view

Here's one at Overtons...probably can find one for less on ebay etc...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information