Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Engine overheat alarm @ WOT in straight line...

I'm stuck. I've searched the forum high and low a can't find a solution to this problem.

Problem: When driving my 2006 RXT in a straight line, only at WOT, I get an engine overheat alarm. Specifically, the temp idiot light goes on, the dash says ENGINE and P116. I open the back and steam (with coolant smell in it) is pouring out of the engine compartment. It seems to be only coming from the coolant coming out of the expansion tank as it boils over.

More info: I immediately shut the engine off when this happens and tow it home (clamping off the right hose for tow).

Solutions tried:
    The first time this happened a hose had come off the thermostat/water pump housing. There was no hose clamp and it came off. I put it back on with a hose clamp, flushed the coolant system and went for a drive. It ran fine for 5 hours. The RPMs were below 6,000 the whole time (I was towing kids in a tube).

The next day, while playing with a friend, it overheated (same situation as listed in "problem" section). Everything looked fine. I replaced the thermostat with a Riva low temp thermostat. I was thinking maybe the thermostat was damaged/stuck when the coolant was lost. Everything looked good inside (water pump impeller looked good, seals looked good, even thermostat looked good). I tested the thermostat later and it worked fine. I'm keeping it for a spare now.

The next day the same thing happened (same situation as listed in "problem" section). I didn't do anything to the ski because I was a bit frustrated.

I waited a week, then took it back out. This time I kept it below 6,000 RPMs. It ran fine for approximately 30 miles of riding. At the end of the trip (near the dock) I opened her up. I slowly increased RPMs. It was running fine even at about 7,000 RMPs. I went above that and almost immediately got the alarm and steam. I was able to let it cool, add coolant, and drove it the rest of the way to the dock at 5,000 RPMs with no problem.

I have taken out the quick connect for the hose. I've checked all the hoses and they all look clean, plyable, and healthy. I removed the stock intercooler, cleaned it (thanks for the Greenhulk method!).

I'm at 125 hours. I am due for an oil change (filter is on order now). The oil level is good. The oil doesn't look bad when I look at the oil on the dipstick.

Anybody out there have any ideas?!?!

Wow!! Sounds like you've covered your bases. This is a toughy. Here's all I can contribute from the service manuals...
    I'm sure someone else has some suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P0116.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	81127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overheats.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	81128  

head gasket

Quote Originally Posted by shooff View Post
    head gasket
    check all of your coolant lines and make sure none of them have a kink in them

Banned User
    +1
    You might want to pull the Jpipe and check to see if the 3-holes are not blocked. If they were you would starve the exhaust system of water in the high RPM range, like 6500+...if it was starved, the temp sensor would see a rise in outlet temp, then trip the alarm...

+1
    possible head gasket??run on hose until warm then hold large water hose and grip tighly and rev if the hose pressurises then most likely head gasket.

+1
    Hey Danny, isnt there 2 temp sensors? 1 for exhaust and 1 for engine? I know when I was having overtemp issues it said exhaust on the screen. If this is the case how would this cause the engine to overheat?

has your ski been service recently? When you are out on the ski and it is running lift the back seat and look at coolant bottle. you may see that it is low or empty...Just open the bottle and the coolant will reset.

I had same problem after my service..coolant line had air in it or something. i opened the bottle and it was ok after that

dont forget to close the bottle again...lol

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    Hey Danny, isnt there 2 temp sensors? 1 for exhaust and 1 for engine? I know when I was having overtemp issues it said exhaust on the screen. If this is the case how would this cause the engine to overheat?

The one in the manifold senses intake temp, the exhaust one measures outgoing exhaust temp when mixed with water. If the water supply is low, or blocked, the temp the sensor sees will rise (no water too cool)...thinking the motor is running with no water for cooling, the ski will throw a warning...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    isnt there 2 temp sensors? 1 for exhaust and 1 for engine? I know when I was having overtemp issues it said exhaust on the screen. If this is the case how would this cause the engine to overheat?
    The engine is cooled by 'coolant' and the exhaust is cooled by water. The temp. sensor for the engine is at the top of the head in the rear. The exhaust temp. sensor is in the waterbox. Exhaust blockage shouldn't impair engine temperature unless the heat transferred to the engine for prolonged periods. JMO on the Seadoo closed loop system.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information