MSX 140 Maintenance

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2003 MSX 140 used, and have little information regarding its maintenance history. I am interested in giving it a comprehensive review before any further use. I have found much information in these forums regarding general maintenance, but could not find a definite checklist specific to the MSX 140.

Based on a review of the service manual, and suggestions in these forums, I intend to perform the steps outlined in 'Periodic Maintenance Schedule' under 6 months/100 hours, including replacing the air filter, oil filter, spark plugs, pop-off thermostat assembly, and fire extinguisher.

Also, i will inspect and correct hose routing and restraining clamp fastening compound issues, and follow the guidelines in this fantastic post by K447. (http://greenhulk.net/forums/showpost.php?p=699868)

Any other suggestions or additions to this list are appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jtz; 07-03-2008 at 11:37 AM.

One more question - Is 'fuel injector cleaner' appropriate for this watercraft? (see attached image)

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris 001.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	354.8 KB 
ID:	81134  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtz View Post
    ...I recently purchased a 2003 MSX 140 used, and have little information regarding its maintenance history.
    ...steps outlined in 'Periodic Maintenance Schedule' under 6 months/100 hours, including replacing the air filter, oil filter, spark plugs, pop-off thermostat assembly, and fire extinguisher.
    No air filter on these boats, just the flame arrestor. If it is dirty/oily, you can soap it up, and wash it (AWAY from the motor). Rinse, and re-install. Should outlast the rest of the boat.

Be careful to keep tools, bolts, water and other bits out of the engine air intake while you have the flame arrestor off the motor.

Also, I will inspect and correct hose routing and restraining clamp fastening compound issues, and follow the guidelines in this fantastic post by K447. (http://greenhulk.net/forums/showpost.php?p=699868)
    Aw, shucks ...
    If you can, ask an authorized Polaris PWC dealer if they can check your HIN number in the Polaris Service database. You want to know if all the outstanding Polaris Service Bulletins (and there were a number of them for the MSX in 2003) have been addressed. Sometimes the database will also show other repair and maintenance history.

When any authorized Polaris dealer works on a Polaris product, they are supposed to update the service records for the HIN, so every other dealer can check the history before they start working on it the next time.

Inspect the pop-off and thermostat. If they are in reasonable shape, then just clean it up and re-assemble.

Check the hood gas strut for holding power - mine was getting soft, and the hood would start closing by itself, which it should not.

As you go over the whole boat carefully from end to end, make notes and photograph the things you think may need attention, or you have questions about.

Often, just cleaning things up, looking it over with a sharp eye, and looking inside or under things where trouble might be hiding, will get you where you need to be, reliability wise.

Do the engine compression check, and make note of the numbers. Every so often, check it again. That way, you will have early notice if one of the cylinders starts to degrade, well before you would notice any performance when riding.

I would suggest checking compression every spring and fall, and maybe once during the summer. Depends how many hours you run it, and whether you suspect anything has changed with the engine.

Buy and set aside a spare TPS. At some point you are likely to be glad you did. Vibration seems to age them, and then they start going 'funny'.

The TPS on one of my Virage TXi just started acting up, so a new TPS is going on there ASAP (my parts shipment just arrived yesterday ).

In this case, the engine began not always responding smoothly to the throttle, but would hesitate and jump up and down in RPM. Other times it would seem OK for a while. Clearly a sign that something is up, as normally these Ficht engines are very linear and smooth in response to the throttle.

Even if the TPS is not the cause of this problem (but I think it is), having the spare TPS handy to install (which only takes a few minutes), means that I can quickly fix it, or determine that the TPS is not the problem source.

I suppose I could put together a list of the things I checked, and fixed, on each of my own Ficht machines...

+1
    One more question - Is 'fuel injector cleaner' appropriate for this watercraft? (see attached image - [Lucas brand])...
    I am not sure what Polaris or Johnson/Evinrude recommended (if anything) for cleaning the Ficht injectors while in service.

The Ficht injectors are very different from automotive fuel injectors in the way they work, so I would be hesitant to use an automotive product on my Ficht engine.

Unless you have a reason to suspect a problem (high engine hours, or a performance problem), I would stick with premium fuel, and nothing else added to the tank.
    Last edited by K447; 07-03-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Pretty funny - I thought that when it said "flame arrestor", it was referring to the fire extinguisher. (I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace that too, since I already ordered it.)

Is this the same part we are referring to? #10 in attached diagram.

Also, I received a hand from a Green Hulker who was able to look up my HIN and find out my service bulletin status. Pretty much good, with one non-critical exception, which should be taken care of shortly.

I am also going to check compression, and buy a spare TPS.

Thanks again for your insight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8106B04.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	81147  
    Last edited by jtz; 07-03-2008 at 04:27 PM.

+1
    ...Is this the same part we are referring to? #10 in attached diagram...
    Yep, that would be it.

The idea is that the flame from a backfire inside the engine would not be able to ignite fuel vapors in the engine compartment, should there be any fuel vapors present (which normally there shouldn't be). And normally your engine should never backfire...

The metal mesh of the flame arrestor cools the flame front enough that the flame heat cannot reach through the mesh.

Because you are literally sitting on top of the engine compartment, an explosion in there would be rather bad.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Because you are literally sitting on top of the engine compartment, an explosion in there would be rather bad.
    To say the least!

And as to a 'fresh' fire extinguisher...I have yet to meet the person who is willing to straddle a burning ski, while he/she fumbles to get to their fire extinguisher (usually stowed under all the necessary 'crap', in the front compartment)! I keep one, to please the H2O cops, and maybe help someone else that is on fire....

Thread Information