RXPX Battery Issue/Question

My RXPX is running like a kitten with max RPM 8040. I just hit 10 hours and performed the oil change etc. The ski was in strorage for about 6 days after the oil change and I took her for a spin. The battery was reading 5.4 volts! No readout no nothing!

I checked the battery independently and with the boat running and found no problems. In other words, the battery is holding a charge and when the boat is running, it is sending the usual charge to the battery. I then let the thing sit for another 2 days with the battery connected and once again the battery went down to 5 volts. Thus, something must be draining it. Any ideas?? For now, I plan to install a battery cut off, but am perplexed at what might be draining the battery.

For some reason, I am a little paranoid about the 10 hour thingy. Could it be the computer forcing me to take it in??

Thanks in advance for any input!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by RXTJeff View Post
    My RXPX is running like a kitten with max RPM 8040. I just hit 10 hours and performed the oil change etc. The ski was in strorage for about 6 days after the oil change and I took her for a spin. The battery was reading 5.4 volts! No readout no nothing!

I checked the battery independently and with the boat running and found no problems. In other words, the battery is holding a charge and when the boat is running, it is sending the usual charge to the battery. I then let the thing sit for another 2 days with the battery connected and once again the battery went down to 5 volts. Thus, something must be draining it. Any ideas?? For now, I plan to install a battery cut off, but am perplexed at what might be draining the battery.

For some reason, I am a little paranoid about the 10 hour thingy. Could it be the computer forcing me to take it in??

Thanks in advance for any input!
    Jeff
    There is a normal drain on the battery while attached to the ski...it could drain the battery over a long period but after 2 days, not.
    You might do a specific gravity test on the battery if it is a wet cell. The battery could be bad...of course you could try a friends battery know to be good and see what happens. I've never read a post about that much battery drain, though.

+1
    I would call the dealer back and ask them what the hell they did.

I have a battery problem also. 31 hours and it will barely start. So bad that sometimes I think it won't start on the water. I'm putting in a Riva dry battery and see if the problem continues.

Problem somewhat diagnosed..now what?

Well I took her out today and ran the hell out of her. I then decided to hang out a bit with the key off of the post. After about 30 seconds, I noticed that the display would come on for a brief second. I then watched it come on every 30 seconds or so. I then started her back up and went for a spin diving the front end into the water. I then stopped again with the key off of the post and the damn display came on every 10 seconds or so. Is this a short? Is this a bad ECU? Has anyone else had a similiar problem??

Thanks,
    Jeff

You have a strange problem, I've put 2 batteries in mine and it still turns over real slow, almost won't start.

+1
    sounds like a short to me.

You might want to troubleshoot the voltage regulator. With the ski idleing put a volt meter across the battery terminals...it should read 13.5 to 13.8 if the regulator is properly re-charging the battery.

Thread Information