Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Raider 700 anyone used fuel cleaner to clear jet

I have a 95 raider that I took out and had to use the primer to keep engine running. After a while it stayed running but even at full throttle only did 4000 rpm. Keep running and it took off. Ran fine. I let idle a while and then back to the 4K rpms. After a few minutes took off again. ETC.

I am guessing its the high speed jet being clogged. Has anyone used fuel/carb cleaner in the gas to clean out rather then tearing off the carb and rebuilding?

Also if I am off on why its doing this chime in, any help is greatly appreciated...

thanks.

best to take the carbs off and clean them yourself. Its pretty simple process, which can be found by searching the forum. Cant get to the jets with carb spray without takeing them apart.

I have taken off and rebuilt carbs before I just don't want to wait on the parts. I was hoping if I pour one of those bottles of fuel/carb cleaner in the fuel and run it it will clean. I understand carb cleaner won't get to jets.

Has anyone done this to clean, or should I say will it hurt anything?

+1
    I've been using fuel injector/carb cleaner in my fuel every now and then. Years ago, people told me not to do it because the cleaner would harm some of the rubber parts.

I've used it anyway in my 94 Raider and it has worked great to keep the carbs clean and, so far, no damage has happened to any of my fuel system's parts.

Danny

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeprunnr View Post
    I have taken off and rebuilt carbs before I just don't want to wait on the parts. I was hoping if I pour one of those bottles of fuel/carb cleaner in the fuel and run it it will clean. I understand carb cleaner won't get to jets.

Has anyone done this to clean, or should I say will it hurt anything?
    I seriously doubt this will fix your problem.

I just want to make sure it won't hurt. Does anyone have a reason why it would hurt? And if it doesn't hurt would it maybe prolong the time between needing to rebuild the carbs?

Obviously if it doesn't work I will rebuild, but if I can squeak an extra weekend out before the rebuild it would be great...

I would not put anything but a fuel stabilizer that is labeled ok for a 2 stroke in my fuel system

Bad experience or cautious?

I would rather not be a test subject if someone has had been results...

I just read a post where someone added a fuel cleaner and destroyed their system by swelling all the rubber lines and parts ! but honestly I would never substitute elbow grease for mystery oil

Its jet fuel so I am unsure how it could affect the fuel lines. I guess a high enough concentration could make the engine run hot, but I don't see how it would affect the lines...

I don't want to screw up the fuel lines and then really be kicking myself later either, I am going to try and contact the company to see if its indicated for 2 cycle engines....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information