Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ahh....where am I?
    +1

RXT/GTX Front storage compartment water issue!

As we all no...there is no "Water tight" compartment on a PWC/Boat. If you play and ride hard and the bow goes under a few waves...water is getting in.

Also, when your cleaning water is going to get in.

My Question is about the Front storage compartment. Has any one put a whole in the bottom...or just taken out the black plug at the bottom?

If water get in there, I'd like it to drain right the Frack out and into the hull, the hull has a bilge system that will suck it right out anyway, so why leave it in the compartment. I've given up on bailing it out after every use and cleaning...I come back from a ride and open it up, it's got suds in it from all the motion...Should think about doing my laundry in it...hummm...

Has any one removed that black plug and left it out? What are the CONs or removing it, has anyone run into a problem with removing it?

ALSO....
    Up in that front compartment, remove the front cover that is hideing the gas (not fuel) spring and LUBE it!!!(WD40) Just grab an edge of the cover and pull, it's a snap in cover, but not one that will get ruined if you continually remove it. 8mo. my gas spring rusted through and didn't work...I'm holding my hood up with the back of my head...hard to fuel up!!! Waiting on the warrentee replacement part.

Also make sure the rubber boot at the base of the hood (when lifted) is still connected to the stopper that has the dash electronic wires running through it. Probably requires cutting the old zip tie, and putting a new one on.

I have never had a problem with water getting in my front compartment on my GTX or RXT but that is why that plug is there just pull it out and let drain into hull it will be siphoned out.
    You might want to check the rubber seal on your compartment.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    Damn, I suck... I've looked at it, I notice that teh grooves dont line up nicely...THe soft rubber seal, I can see lines running through them indicating that the top isn't lineing up with the bottom when closed.

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    How hard is that plug to take out? I've tried taking it out a few times and was unable too so I though it was not made to take out. My latch gave out on me too had the people at PPG do it for me. Actually, I never asked to do it and they did it, they also put in the rear corner bumper without me telling them too....huh...go figure....THey stuck me up with the bill though!

Quote Originally Posted by majundecid
    Up in that front compartment, remove the front cover that is hideing the gas (not fuel) spring and LUBE it!!!(WD40) Just grab an edge of the cover and pull, it's a snap in cover, but not one that will get ruined if you continually remove it. 8mo. my gas spring rusted through and didn't work
    I always my ski in salt water, so is that something that should be flushed with tap water and lubed after each ride out?

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    Well from my personal experience, and seeing other peoples ski's this weekend...Yeah, you should spray it down. THe biggest problem is there is a "Boot" that is suppose to cover the gas shock and wireing that come out of the fiberglass hull and up to the top compartment....

http://epc.brp.com/Scripts/ImgServ.e...&ilIF=G&ilRE=8

# 34 is the "Grommet" its like a flexable accordian seal and #35 is the zip tie...as a reference.

Make sure that is connected to the compartment lid. but it looks like it could be a pain to so with zip ties, I'd replace it with a SS clamp. And spray down the gas spring like once a month.

I would say depending on how you ride, ...for me...every time I'm out, salt water will go down that grommet, I ride hard, and burry my bow all the time. The grommet is on the ourside of the front compartment seal, so it's totally exposed to water. I guess even fresh water will rust it. SO Yeah, Spreay it every time, just open the front, pull off that little 6 by 12 cover and spray...and pop it back on..another 15sec. a clean up will save you a few weeks of waiting for a new gas spring....I hope.

The dealer still hasn't called me back to pick up the part.

I even told them to charge it as if they brought the whole ski into the shop and did the repair themselves, reap the benefits. They will probably get a kick back from BPR for replacing a part that they only had to order for me. Only took 5 min of the parts guys time, and they wil probably get $200 back.

Doesnt work that way...They like to keep your damn ski in shop the whole time...at least the dealerships around here do...

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    I would just argue with the service manager and tell him the deal...its just a part, bring in the old, trailer your ski there to show them, but dont let them keep it. To take a perfectly good, running machine out of service durning the summer for a part like a gas spring is rediculous.

Tell them you'll go someplace else for service.

I can understand their resoning too, what if you have a 2004 and a 2006 and all the parts on the 04 break, out of warrantee, and you swap it out and say its from the 06...your getting free parts, but really, there are some honest people out here that just want the right thing done.

Could see daylight thru front of myhood compartment when closed.
    Bought some car door "edge" plastic material that is supposed to go ROUND YOUR CAR DOOR EDGES TO PROTECT IT FROM BUMPS- pUT THIS OVER THE TOP OF THE BOTTOM CHANNEL AROUND THE first half os the compartment- now seals water tight.
    Also removed my plug over a year ago- all seems ok.
    Will look into that shock rusting thing-thanks

Ahh....where am I?
    +1

HELP, need to comress the front compartment gas spring

I Need a little help and ideas on how to compress the gas spring that hold up the front hood. THere isn't enough play to attach both ends of the shock.

Its looking like I'll have to unbolt the hood to get the room I need.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information