Unhappy Fuel Problem on 96Xp have to use Reserve Swithc

I have a 96 Xp 787. Had it out on the lake last week twice and ran perfect. Well today went and filled it up to about half way fuel and took i out on the lake. So while leaving the fuel switch to on the ski wants to die down low or espically when getting in the high rpms the ski just dies out. Now when I leave the fuel switch on the reserver positon it boggs once in a while but runs nearly perfect. If anyone can help me here to help me finish out the long weekend I would truley appreciate it.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Leave it on reserve, or bypass it altogether. The selector switch is bad, and needs replacing. No big deal...go ride!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Leave it on reserve, or bypass it altogether. The selector switch is bad, and needs replacing. No big deal...go ride!
    You've hit it right on the spot. Most pwc is going to get sooner or later problems with the fuel switch. Just place the hose from the "on" switch on the place where the reserve comes out on the tank. with this bypass you'll have no more trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by aruba yamaha View Post
    You've hit it right on the spot. Most pwc is going to get sooner or later problems with the fuel switch. Just place the hose from the "on" switch on the place where the reserve comes out on the tank. with this bypass you'll have no more trouble.
    Hey thank you all for your help. From a little bit of research that I did later on that is what I thought. How hard is it to replace the switch? OH dont exactly understand the switching the lines around though? Sorry new into the sport.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by aruba yamaha View Post
    That's not actually correct. If he leaves the hoses on the switch, the rubber sleeve inside can randomly resrict no matter what the position. The best would be to get a 1/4" hose barb coupling and join the ON and RES
    externally. Then plug the other. Having it on all the time will hurt nothing...my fuel hasn't been turned off on all my skis in 6 years.

Access the switch by pulling the front bucket. If you want to take the switch loose pull the rubber cap off the middle of the black selector knob. Unscrew the scew, pull the knob, and a nut is exposed to remove. This allows you to pop it inside the hull and swing the hoses toward the front for easier access.

Banned User
    There isn't a whole lot to the selector switch. It is not that convenient to reach, but it is very easy to do:

Take off the knob - the center rubber cap can be removed with a small screwdriver. Undo the philips screw and yank on the knob. Then with a large wrench, unscrew the large retaining nut under it......put masking tape on the hull to prevent scratches.

Don't lose the washer and gasket when you pop it INTO the hull. Then grab the selector from inside the hull so you can look at the connections.

Use tape and LABEL the hosing to match the stamping on the selector body. If you delete, then as stated in the last post, connect ON to OUT. Otherwise make sure the hoses going on correctly.

Take the selector off to clean it - or at least attempt to clean it. I used WD-40 and compressed air to blow it out in the ON and RES positions. If this doesn't help your problem, then replace the switch.

Reinstall is the reverse!

I personally would prefer to keep the selector switch instead of bypass. For me it's no big deal either way. But for other users (friends) and all that, they would be expecting the selector to work properly.

JPX thank you so very much for the write up and the pics. Yea will try just to clean it and see if I am good to go if not will be ordering a new one Monday. So thanks again for your help and everyone elses also.

Thread Information