Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Towing question...

I recently got a free tube and tow rope.... never towed anything with my 96 slx 780 before, so ive got a few questions..... my SLX doesnt have the tow hook on the rear, just the hole on the deck on the back side of the hull right above the pump nozzle... I assume just use a rope tied through there would be safe for the ski? Its just a small single person tube, so I wouldnt be towing anyone heavier than around 200lbs.... Any words of advice?!?! I have towed people before, just not on my Polaris, BUT they had a tow hook on back of theres.... Thanks!

Not sure what the rules are in NC, but in ontario you can only legally tow with a 3 seater watercraft because you have to have a spotter and room on the watercraft for the riders.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Keep in mind that some jurisdictions require a three seat PWC; driver, spotter, plus room for the person being towed.

Number one concern is sucking the tow rope into the jet pump intake. Easy to do with the rope tied right above the jet pump.

Make sure you tie a substantial float inline with, or foam core (hollow pool noodle) around, the first few feet of tow rope, so it won't easily get sucked into the pump intake, or snagged on the steering nozzle, if you should happen to ride or float over the tow rope.

Some have added a tow eye to the rear under the seat handle, this makes it easier to connect and disconnect the tow rope, especially if the rope gets snagged on something in or under the water.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/atta...0&d=1212596584

yeah, in NC you either have to haven a second person riding as an observer, OR a mirror, so im good as far as that goes. Good idea about taking part of a pool noodle and putting it on the end of the rope near the end... Ill check out the tow hook addition idea... in the meantime however, is it safe to tie directly to the hull through the deck hole? I assume thats what its for? Can towing damage the ski in anyway??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabu1984 View Post
    ... in the meantime however, is it safe to tie directly to the hull through the deck hole?
    I assume thats what its for?
    Can towing damage the ski in anyway??
    The rear deck hole should be strong enough for a tow rope.

That hole was originally meant as a tie down for trailering the PWC, and you can buy special PWC tie down straps that have a pin that fits through that hole.

Towing causing damage to the PWC?
    Well mostly if you suck up the rope, or run into something while trying to watch or control what the tube is doing.

But also watch for overheating if you spend too much time at fairly low hull speeds, but significant throttle (since a tube can be a real drag at low, sub-planing speeds).

You might consider running higher octane gasoline, just in case the engine does run hotter than normal, and at lower RPM due to the extra load. Reduces the possibility of pre-ignition or detonation.

I know in Iowa that you have to have an observer facing the rear, but it requires a 3 person ski for the simple fact that if something would happen, that person towing/skiing could get on the jetski as well. You might wanna check that out a little deeper, because as far as I knew, that was standard for all states pretty much.

naw, its right in NC. Just a observer or mirrors....
    Straight from the NC wildlife website:

A PWC must have a rearview mirror or an observer on board besides the operator to legally tow someone on skis or similar device.

head down to your local boat shop and get a tow eye and mount it under your seat. they're fairly cheap and it'll help keep the end of the rope out of the water[less chance of it getting sucked into the impeller] and the rope will tend to not drag in the water by the tube. i found that if it drags by the tube, it's harder for the tube to get on plane.

Is drilling a hull on the back for the eye hook is safe to do? Just seems like the eye hook would get pulled through the hull towing a 180lbs person, or maybe i just do give fiberglass enough credit! Guess im just reluctant to drill into my ski... Im gonna do like JetSkiMN did in his post.... How high from the deck should I mount it???? Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02018.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	81381

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02019.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	81382
    start with a small drill bit then WORK up to the size you need to prevent the fiberglass from cracking.put a washer on the backside to keep the fiberglass from cracking when your pulling someone. you should have no problem, i was just pulling 220 pound chubby friend around on his tube yesterday with no problem.
    p.s. mine's about 5" up off the deck.
    Last edited by hangman575; 07-05-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information