Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2000 genesis ffi

put in motor ski has spark wont start . checked fuel pump to injectors works when out of ski wired direct to battery.when put back in ski it doesnt sound like it is turning on every time.it is kind of speratic.every so often you can hear it pressure up.got ski to fire up briefly while messing with the start button,it too is acting spuratic. could it be a bad ground? the new battery was in all week and this weekend it was dead. i dont think the mfd is shutting own . i know the clock stays on an its suposed to go into sleep mode untill you hit the key .any possible things to check on ? thanks for your help

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by drwebb69 View Post
    put in motor ski has spark wont start. checked fuel pump to injectors works when out of ski wired direct to battery. when put back in ski it doesn't sound like it is turning on every time. it is kind of sporadic. every so often you can hear it pressure up.
    Check the electrical connections that feed the fuel pump. You might have corrosion or a loose connection somewhere.

got ski to fire up briefly while messing with the start button, it too is acting sporadic. could it be a bad ground?

The new battery was in all week and this weekend it was dead. I don't think the MFI is shutting down.
    Could it be all the testing and attempted starting that drained the battery?
    Recharge the battery, and confirm you have around 11 volts when cranking.

I know the clock stays on and it's supposed to go into sleep mode until you hit the key.
    You can tell if it has gone to sleep, if when you press the Display button it wakes up (the Speedometer dial goes all the way around, then back to zero).
    If you can, select a splice or wiring near the fuel pump that feeds the fuel pump.

Connect your multi-meter there (both black and red leads to the harness), and check for proper voltage when trying to start. If the voltage is low or comes and goes, then work back through the wiring until you find the problem source.

Also check that the electrical connector at the fuel pump is not damaged or corroded.

genesis

have checked wirring to fuel pump its ok as far as i can tell .the battery that was put in friday eve was brand new an the voltage was 11.5 when i started it,or tryed to start it .left it alone for the week and it was completely dead.replaced with a new battery.i will do the trace on the plug to the fuel pump .i thought it was a brown wire. one wire on each side of the connector plug?

+1
    ...the battery that was put in friday eve was brand new an the voltage was 11.5 when i started it, or tried to start it.
    left it alone for the week and it was completely dead.
    replaced with a new battery.

i will do the trace on the plug to the fuel pump .i thought it was a brown wire. one wire on each side of the connector plug?
    New batteries are not always 100% charged when you get them.
    I always charge mine up before installing them.

Looking at the 2001 manual here, the fuel pump 12 volt power is fed through a 15 Amp circuit breaker (or fuse), AND a 5 Amp breaker/fuse, with the power being delivered on a Red/White wire (Pin 4 on the fuel pump connector). The Red/White wire should have constant battery power, fed directly from the 5 Amp circuit breaker.

The EMM grounds the brown wire from the fuel pump (Pin 1 at the fuel pump) to start the pump running. If you ground the brown wire, that should cause the fuel pump to run continuously.

BTW, Pin 3 at the fuel pump is the ground for the fuel sender, so THAT wire should be solidly grounded to the black wire connection bar inside the electrical box.

While the pump is running with the brown wire grounded, jiggle the wiring and connectors, and see if the pump stops or changes speed. The fuel system is a recirculating type, so the fuel pump should be OK to run continuously without the engine running.

Also check to see if the engine now runs properly.

If it DOES run with the brown wire grounded, then the problem is either with the brown wire (which runs through the electrical box on its way to the EMM), or the EMM grounding, or the EMM itself. Also check the big EMM connector for corrosion or loose connections.

Good luck!

another question

the ground from the battery and the ground going to the starter should they be together?the one to the battery is grounded to the cases on the rear of the block. the other ground comes from the starter area and goes to the emm.

+1
    the ground from the battery and the ground going to the starter should they be together?
    the one to the battery is grounded to the cases on the rear of the block.
    the other ground comes from the starter area and goes to the emm.
    All ground wires can be grounded under the same bolt. Just be sure there is no corrosion on the wire ends, the bolt, OR the threaded hole in the engine. Tighten it down, then apply some Nyogel or other protective coating.

The starter is grounded internally to the engine block, so the second ground would be for the electrical system.

+1
    Get a fuel pressure guage and verify you DO or DON'T have fuel pressure and that it's within spec.

pressue

when i jumper the fuel pump i have pressure when its intalled normally it does some times and sometimes it wont pump, thats why im thinking grounds.im going to redo my grounds if it doesnt work i will then ground the brown wire on the fuel pump pin an try to back trace it , but hopefuly it is just the ground cables. i wasnt 100 percent sure on them when the motor went back in .buy the way why would the mfd show more hours when it has just sat and not been running ?the first year i thought it had jumped by 30-40- hours when wwe put a new battery in it.i think it did it again.can the dealer hook into the emm to see the true hours? (it may be correct)

help

ok have grounds reran and cleaned and put back in .now ski will turn over and if i hold the throttle open a little it wil start.if it goes back down to idle it wants to die or if i give it just a tap it will die if i squeeze it a little quiker and harder i can [play with it . it wil rev up and down til it gets down to idle ( 10 sec max)then it cuts off .dont want to o this to long ski is not in water .remember this ski is ffi not carburated no injectors have been changed they are all the original.
    grounded brown wire on fuel pump plug, pump starts pumping right away.is the brown wire supposed to have current when the ski is not running?

+1
    Ok ,When you have it running put a volt meter on the injector feed wire .It should be at least 20 v at idle .If your v's are low it will cut out.If that is the case you will need to do a stator test as this is a sure sign that the stator is heading south .For this you will need to search for the 24v stator test .I think it is in the how to section .Keith may be able to help out here .
    Cheers
    Bernie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information