Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

water in hull.. any ideas?

I removed pump plate to install pump plug kit and new intake grate on a 2000 1200XLL. I had to cut some of the epoxy from the bolt caps inside the rear hull to get vice grips on the bolt caps so they would not turn when I removed the bolts. Took it out yesterday and the hull filled up with water almost up to the top of the battery. Checked all the bolts and they are tight. How could that much water get inside? I put some 5200 sealant on top of the bolt caps and waiting for it to dry. I removed the back exhaust where it exits the ski. I put that back on tight and the gasket seem to be in place. I can feel it from the back all the way around. I just dont get how that much water could get it. I will take it to shallow water tomorrow when the 24 hour 5200, with the exhaust out cures and see if I can see any water coming in.

Any other ideas?? Thanks!!

After reading a bit... I know my rideplate and pump shoe inserst (bolt caps) were spinning when I tired to remove. I put a bunch of 5200 on them and waiting for it to dry. Any thoughts on whether this will seal it. I will replace them all at the end of the year but I just want to get them sealed up for now. I am a weekend rider.

Could that much water (filled up to top of battery) get in throught spinning ride plate inserts?

THANKS

+1
    fill the hull on the drive and look to see where its comming out of,dont fill as high as the intake

+1
    If the water was really as high as you say it was, It would be a good idea to start that ski up on the trailer, run some fresh water through it... Spray Mystery oil in the cylinders, hose down the engine, spray EVERYTHING with silicone spray and the worry about finding your leaks. If I read your post rite it sounds like its time to get some new ride plate and pump shoe brackets... Use the fast cure 5200 and torq everything to factory specs. Let it dry for 48 hours or better...

i had the same problem with my xl1200. but the water was comming from a crack in the exhaust up by the head. you really cany see the crack, if it is there unless you hook the ski up to water and run the ski. it is common for these skis to get a cracked exhaust where the silver metal bracket connects the head to the exhaust up front. mine cracked in the same place as 3 other xl1200's in my area. the crack was right in the bend in the exhaust on the inderside . it was in the bend closest to the humps the the exhaust and the caytalic converter/ or where the d pale goes. it just a thought, might wanna just check it out.

tightin all of your bolts

did you find your problem yet

? thru-hull barrel bolts

Im goin through my 8 year old ski to replace the intermediate & jet pump shafts myself.... All of those "Barrel Bolts" (I call them) I have had to cut the epoxy stuff away to hold them with vice grips... Please let us know if that's where your leak(s) are comming from...
    I'm awaiting parts now but don't want to find out another fix for this after I put it all together again. Was thinking some marine grade rtv over the original barrel bolts would be good enough to seal em back up. Anyone else out there got suggestions how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

+1
    Fast cure 5200 is the best cure for leaks but to has to cure for ATLEAST 48 hours.....

+1 on the 5200

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information