Banned User

Overheating issues gp1200r

I have a 2001 gp1200r with 182 hours on it.

I havent done any mods and randomly my temp sensor will go off. I dont think it is overheating i just think there could be a problem with the sensor. I could ride for 4 hours and no prob, then ride for 20min and it will go off. Nothing gets stuck in the grate because it pisses fine and i would even jump off check it to find nothing. Though my exhaust does sound extra loud with an almost popping noise. I think maybe my cat is bad or something is in the exhaust pipe. Not sure atm but will look into it shortly when i install my D-plate.

+1
    if you havent pulled the cat yet you should replace it with a d-plate ASAP...the failed Catalytic converter can cause a HUGE restriction and build-up of heat that can hurt your motor severely!!.....does the ski feel sluggish or down on power?...either way i would ditch the Cat now!!....

-Jack

Banned User
    thanks, and yes it does. I I also think my carbs need to be rebuilt because my motor idles really rough and has a big kick to it. today i took it out for my preliminary run and it ran terrible. Was boggin out then would randomly catch and take off... i had no low end or mid range only my top end was ok. My buddy is rebuilding the carbs for me... i and i got an Rd ride, intake, d-plate, cat sensor, and pump seal kit on the way. Any suggestions on what we can install with the carbs apart... (for a relative price, nothing too expensive). Something that will help me when i get my milled heads and new impeller.

thanks coveted

Quote Originally Posted by BoostCrzy View Post
    if you havent pulled the cat yet you should replace it with a d-plate ASAP...the failed Catalytic converter can cause a HUGE restriction and build-up of heat that can hurt your motor severely!!.....does the ski feel sluggish or down on power?...either way i would ditch the Cat now!!....

-Jack

+1
    I would not push this any further. Get the d-plate in then see how it runs, all these problems you describe can be attributed to this. keep running it in this condition and the next thing you will need will be cylinders and pistons.

Banned User
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    I would not push this any further. Get the d-plate in then see how it runs, all these problems you describe can be attributed to this. keep running it in this condition and the next thing you will need will be cylinders and pistons.

+1
    while carbs are off....disable the accelerator pump...and rejet the carbs to 120 mains...110 pilots...1.5 needle and seat....95 gram spring......and i would get some T-Handle adjusters for at least the high speed needles...lows will be ok to leave at 1 turn out....this should get your carbs setup really well for the next round of mods....if you want you can also remove the chokes while youre in there....add a set of flame arrestors...and run a 125 main jet instead....its a proven setup from all the guys on here....works really well for me...

Thread Information