Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 03 Seadoo GTX SC Rebuild?

Hey all,

I've had my 2003 GTX SC for about a year and it has almost 220 hours on it (only probably 20-30 tops from me). After reading here I've come to believe that my SC isn't functioning correctly. My GTX tops out at about 45 mph on the built-in speedometer and doesn't seem to have the pull or speed that my buddies '07 Wake (non-SC) has.

From my reading I understand the '03 isn't subject to the ceramic washer horror so at least I (hopefully) don't have to worry about that. I'm hoping that my running it in its current condition hasn't been hurting anything.

Could anyone explain to me the steps that should be taken to diagnose and fix this issue with an '03? What I'm not clear on, I guess, is what the possible failure points for a 2003 supercharger are. From what I can gather, the SC clutch can begin to slip over time (guess I don't understand why exactly) and can eventually get to a point where it can't be fixed by shimming. At that point, the SC requires a rebuild? If so, what does a "rebuild" entail?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help on this!

220+ hours is getting up there. SC maintenance schedule is 100 hours or sooner is there is a suspected problem.

easy test:
    remove inlet hose to SC and stick your finger in the housing and see if you can spin the SC impeller with your fingers. (engine off of course!) if you can turn it more than a few degree`s is spent... the very small amount of rotation that you should feel is gear back-lash (normal).

the metal washer set-up in the 03`s are dif from the later years. Rebuild of your would entail: new bearings, shaft, clutch, gear, seals, etc all sold as a kit in the online store here at GH.net.
    make sure you purchase the correct kit for the 185HP engines bc they have a dif size gear for the SC. 17 tooth as opposed to 16 tooth for the 215 engines... I also here that there is issues with the new 2008 OEM metal washer kits with the new type washers failing. So it might just be best to contact Jerry (green Hulk) and discuss your options with him and he can also do the rebuilding of your SC!...

also at this point there would be so many things to check:
    plugs, compression, wear ring and prop, fuel pump/filter in tank, output pressure etc, etc...

did you have the ski checked out by a dealer and put on the BUDS VCK to read if there are any codes or issues present?...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 07-05-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    did you have the ski checked out by a dealer and put on the BUDS VCK to read if there are any codes or issues present?...
    Pale Rider, I have not. I am, in fact, planning to have the GTX serviced top to bottom ASAP after reading on greenhulk. Unfortunately, because of time constraints and the fact that I'm more electronically inclined than mechanically inclined I'll probably have someone else do the job.

I was planning to specifically request oil change, new oil filter, new plugs, wear ring check, prop check. I'll add from your list to check fuel pump/filter in tank, compression, and output pressure.

Any other suggestions of things I should make sure they take a look at?

Also, will a decent shop be able to test (and if necessary) rebuild my SC or would I be better off having the shop just pull the SC while they're doing maintenance/testing, send it to Jerry, and have the shop reinstall it?

Thanks again!

I highly doubt that you`ll find a competent shop to pull your SC and rebuild it properly with your choice of components or the request to remove it and give it back to you... I would assume that most shops would like to send the repaired ski`s out the door running so there is no liability issues...

Definetly take the time to search dealer threads for your area or find a GH member close to your proximity who may be able to help you out...

a GOOD shop will know what to do just by your explanation or concerns...
    Be careful, this will cost some $$$, so shop wisely and try to avoid the certified imposters...

others will chime in and get you in a forward direction...
    and
    Welcome to Green Hulk.net!!!

Thanks again for all the advice.

If anyone knows of a good shop in the Minneapolis, MN region or is a GH guru in the area, please let me know.

I'll start hunting for some dealer threads too.

A couple more SC related questions. Should a shop at least be able to tell me if the supercharger needs repair/rebuild? If so, and assuming it does need repair, are there directions for removing the SC from a GTX? I found instructions in the How-To section for an RXP. Maybe they are similar enough?

+1
    Do the SC test that PR suggested. A little finger in the SC can tell you a lot. Find the "SC removal How-To" thread. Send it to Jerry. It seems like it is past time to change those washers out.

Also, start knocking these out (as suggested by PR): "also at this point there would be so many things to check: plugs, compression, wear ring and prop, fuel pump/filter in tank, output pressure etc, etc"

Quote Originally Posted by iolaus View Post
    Thanks again for all the advice.

If anyone knows of a good shop in the Minneapolis, MN region or is a GH guru in the area, please let me know.

I'll start hunting for some dealer threads too.

A couple more SC related questions. Should a shop at least be able to tell me if the supercharger needs repair/rebuild? If so, and assuming it does need repair, are there directions for removing the SC from a GTX? I found instructions in the How-To section for an RXP. Maybe they are similar enough?
    I just got done having my 03 gtx rebuild to 06 SC spec. Your overlooking the bearings at 200+ hrs, I had approx 80+ hrs and my bearings had play even with no signs of clutch slippage. SC Bearing failure would be an expensive repair bill.

While I had everything open I cleaned out the throttle body, replaced all the zip ties on the bailer tubes with metal clamps, insepcted the engine mounts and retorqued all the metal clamps, changed the oil cap (03 had plastic), changed the oil pressor sensors & switch (I was getting false low oil pressure warnings) and an oil change.

PS: Throw away those 3 F&^%KN annoying torx bolts holding the SC and replace with hex bolts. If you can get the rear torx bolt out, everything else is easy. It took me 3 hrs grinding off that rear bolt.
    Last edited by wyatteurp; 07-06-2008 at 06:06 PM.

+1
    Just so ya know, the super charger is a breeze to remove. I have a 05 RXP 215hp Sc and just removed my charger a few mins ago as we speak. It took me about 30 - 45 mins to remove the charger from start to finish and that was taking my time.

I am sure it is just a little different for the GTX model, but can't be all that hard.

Jerry will be getting my SC this week for a rebuild

+1
    Yeah, I agree...It is not hard, but that rear star bolt is a pain with the SeaDoo star wrench. FYI...I have been using a star socket on a pnuematic/air wrench for the front two star bolts...making about 5 seconds each to remove. The other 29 minutes and 50 seconds was on that rear bolt at 1/32 of a turn at a time. Make sure you have a radio handy...be prepared to hear a song replayed...lol

+1
    welcome to the forum iolaus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information