Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Slow accel RXP - maxing at 6000 rpms

I just finished up modding my RXP and went from a stock boat pushing 70 to a Stage 1+ that is lucky to reach 45.

I just got my S/C back from GH with new washers/bearings/Greenwheel.
    In addition I installed the Riva Stage 1 kit
    I also replaced the resonator with approx 8" * 2.5" galvanized exhaust pipe.

The boat has also sat for almost a year (since the end of last summer) when it was winterized. It had about 3 gals of fuel left in it - which I topped off on my way to the lake this weekend.

I took it out on the lake and it had a slow jerky pull up to a speed around 40-45mph and topping out around 5800-6000rpms. I tried swapping keys, just incase the computer was messed up, and the learning key went even slower.

Just to make sure it would still reach 8000rpms, I ran it when I got home with the hose connected and gave it a quick throttle blast and rpms shot up to ~8000.

Is there a fuel filter that might be clogged? Or more likely what did I mess up when I modded the boat?

When I took off the seat out on the lake it seemed kinda hot - but then again I haven't ridden it in a while let alone with the seat off.

Thanks in advance for the help

8000 rpms on the hose doesn't mean anything. It needs to be in the water to do any testing. It would have been nice to know that the ski ran right before the mods. Now you don't know if it's a pre-existing condition or the mods. Take things one-at-a-time to locate the problem... Ron

I've had the ski since '04 and it has always run fine. The only reason I modded this year was the warranty was up and I wanted to get the ceramic washers out of the S/C before I rode it. Otherwise with my luck they would have failed on the first run of this year.
    Starting with one mod quickly became a slippery slope of going mod happy.

I put a stage I in my rxt last year and had same problem..on the trailer it ran/sounded like a tiger..but in the water it sucked..

Changed the plugs and everything was fine

Wavehummer - I hope you're right about the spark plugs. I got three new ones on order that will be ready for pickup monday. I want to see this thing go fast again.

Just for grins - how can you tell if the fuel filter is clogged? Is it something that can just be cleaned or does it require replacement?

+1
    You probably just need to install a fresh set of spark plugs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf513 View Post

Just for grins - how can you tell if the fuel filter is clogged? Is it something that can just be cleaned or does it require replacement?
    I have never seen one clog up. It's built into the fuel pump assembly in the tank.

I just had a similar problem and it was my plugs. Ski was running fine and fouled up in the middle of the ride. Luckily I was on the river close to the dealer, three new NGK's and back to normal. I also wonder if it could be amix of that and the old fuel?

I hope i am right also..I was suprised it was my plugs but due to the guys on here telling me and they were correct with their info like always thats what it was.

The ski sounded fine on trailer before and after being in the water. But once the ski was in the water and the engine had a load being put on it , it just would bog down.

ps. get yourself a spare set and keep them on the ski

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I have never seen one clog up. It's built into the fuel pump assembly in the tank.
    Ask JP about that one, Jerry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information