Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

96 XP Died while cruising, now no spark!

I'm assuming this is a fuse problem, but i looked inside what i thought was the fuse box (grey box in the front port side of the ski) and i didn't see anythign that looked like fuses in there, unless they are fusable links!?

ANYWAYS.....all was well, was cruising in smooth calm water, at almost WOT, and it just died! Everything seems fine. Pleanty of fuel, double beep when i put the key on. So i pulled a plug (New 5 hours ago, mind you) and (I know this was probably the wrong way to check this) Turned the motor over with the boot on the loose plug, and saw no spark. Blown fuse??? If so where should i look for it?? Thanks!!

Banned User
    This box photo is from a 96 HX. The fuses are covered by waterproof caps (the three at the top of this photo)

The shot below is a 96 GSX ignition box, there is also a fuse under the cap (bottom of photo) where the red wires come out.

The fuses are regular automotive type fuses - not fuseable links.

Great thanks!!!! Is this normal to happen sometimes, or should i be concerned of a possible bigger problem? And should i go to the ignition box first??

Banned User
    Well, the fuse blew for SOME reason. Start with the fuse change first and go from there.

When checking the spark plugs, make sure to ground them to the tabs with the orange backet at the front of the motor. This grounds them properly so the ignition system does not get damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by JPX View Post
    Well, the fuse blew for SOME reason. Start with the fuse change first and go from there.

When checking the spark plugs, make sure to ground them to the tabs with the orange backet at the front of the motor. This grounds them properly so the ignition system does not get damaged.

Thanks!! I'm assuming the one in the ignition box is the only fuse for the ignition?
    Last edited by 1996XP; 07-05-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996XP View Post
    Thanks!! I'm assuming the one in the ignition box is the only fuse for the ignition?
    Nope, the 15amp in the rear box feeds the gray box up front.

You might have broken the inductive pickup inside the front cover. Have you been wave jumping or riding in rough chop prior to this happening?

Very seldom do fuses blow from age or fatigue, but it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Nope, the 15amp in the rear box feeds the gray box up front.

You might have broken the inductive pickup inside the front cover. Have you been wave jumping or riding in rough chop prior to this happening?

Very seldom do fuses blow from age or fatigue, but it does happen.

Yeah the chop was pretty rough yesterday, but i was going high speed on flat water when it died, with no chop. And it had probably been a good half hour since i was doing anythign crazy with it. Not to be suck a noob, but where is that, and how can i determine if it's broke and fix it??
    Last edited by 1996XP; 07-06-2008 at 09:09 AM.

Ok, so i checked all 5 fuses, front and back and all are good. So now i'm leaning towards that piece behind the front cover being the culprit. I wanna yank the cover and look. It looks pretty straight forward, except the motor mount. But i'm assuming i can just unbolt the mount, and wedge something under the engine. Is there anything i have to worry about when pulling the front cover, such as timing, or the thing with the vacume lines on it that's mounted to the cover??? Thanks!!

I'm assuming this is the part from Babbits....

9. Pick Up Ass'Y (superceed: 420966832) (SKU:29096564) 1 $81.99 ea

That sucks if it is broke, i was hoping ti'd be something a lil cheaper!! lol
    Last edited by 1996XP; 07-06-2008 at 09:09 AM.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    If it's the original they had weak ears, the new design is beefier and will not break.

Chock the engine underneath with a short piece of 2x4, just be careful to not lift it much as you will bend your driveshaft. That's it, when you get the cover off the pickup will most likely be hanging inside.

Before you do that...the small ground wire going from the black box to battery ground is still connected and intact, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    If it's the original they had weak ears, the new design is beefier and will not break.

Chock the engine underneath with a short piece of 2x4, just be careful to not lift it much as you will bend your driveshaft. That's it, when you get the cover off the pickup will most likely be hanging inside.

Before you do that...the small ground wire going from the black box to battery ground is still connected and intact, correct?
    Yeah it's still connected to the battery, gonna check inside where the coil is again before i start taking the front off. Thanks for all the help!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information