Talking hard to start 97 xp 800

my xp is really hard to start, i kill two batteries just about and then it finally starts. once started you can turn it off and hit the button and it fires right up, but once a while has gone by without running same thing hard to start again. replaced batteries, plugs, even put fuel down carb to start still hard to start. compression is fine dont know what else to do.

Get rid of those chokes and put in a primer kit. Mine was the same way...a real pig to start...since putting in the primer kit I have had very little problems starting. It will take you some time to get the lines to prime up but when that is out of the way, a few shots with the primer and the added air flow from loosing the choke butterflies, they fire right up.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    When was the last time you pulled the carbs and cleaned the internal filter screens?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    Get rid of those chokes and put in a primer kit. Mine was the same way...a real pig to start...since putting in the primer kit I have had very little problems starting. It will take you some time to get the lines to prime up but when that is out of the way, a few shots with the primer and the added air flow from loosing the choke butterflies, they fire right up.
    True, You can also check the battery cable. If I can remember those 97 xp's had a real problem with the positive cable since they are so long (from the back all the way to the front) that if they had a little corrosion they had a hard time starting the engine. It would turn it over, but just won't start. After a lot of tries the cable would get warm and get somehow less resistance. But like Schazenegger said, try your luck first with an primer altough you stated you added a little fuel to in the carbs and it still woudn't start. Let us know how it worked out.
    Last edited by aruba yamaha; 07-07-2008 at 09:16 AM.

Thread Information