stock air intake tube eliminate?

on my 05 rxp do you guys get rid off the black 3'' intake tube that starts at the front of the seat and ends at the battery? Seems like it could be somewhat restrictive. I never have any water issues in the hull and do not ride in the ocean. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flyn ryan View Post
    on my 05 rxp do you guys get rid off the black 3'' intake tube that starts at the front of the seat and ends at the battery? Seems like it could be somewhat restrictive. I never have any water issues in the hull and do not ride in the ocean. Thanks
    Removing it will let the engine breath better , but it will also allow water to come in there if you have a wave come up to the seat.
    If you have the stage one air intake it will cause water to drop down on the filter and be sucked into the engine.

I have the stage 1 but it has the outerwears is that good?

You could just remove the part that hangs down by the battery.
    Leave the tube that runs from the front of the seat to the front compartment.

This will help with airflow, while keeping the water ingestion risk down

Quote Originally Posted by NCRXP View Post
    Removing it will let the engine breath better , but it will also allow water to come in there if you have a wave come up to the seat.
    If you have the stage one air intake it will cause water to drop down on the filter and be sucked into the engine.
    Ummm... That's not possible. I just installed my Riva 3" front air intake 2 days ago. Yesterday I submerged my ski completely coming down from a BIG jump into the side of a 2 1/2 foot boat wake. No water on my filter for sure.

The seat is sealed to the hull. The only place that water can enter the ski is from the rear intake vent (by the rear grab handle) and the two hoses that run down from in front of the seat (the "ports" can be seen when you take the seat off. The filter sits up high in the hull, so the only way that it could injest water would be if the hull fills up with water. Shoot, the stock intake system would injest water with lower levels in the hull than the Riva.

At least that's how it is on my P-X.

-=Mike G.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey G. View Post
    Ummm... That's not possible. I just installed my Riva 3" front air intake 2 days ago. Yesterday I submerged my ski completely coming down from a BIG jump into the side of a 2 1/2 foot boat wake. No water on my filter for sure.

The seat is sealed to the hull. The only place that water can enter the ski is from the rear intake vent (by the rear grab handle) and the two hoses that run down from in front of the seat (the "ports" can be seen when you take the seat off. The filter sits up high in the hull, so the only way that it could injest water would be if the hull fills up with water. Shoot, the stock intake system would injest water with lower levels in the hull than the Riva.

At least that's how it is on my P-X.

-=Mike G.
    Possible and will happen. The seat seals to the engine compartment hole. Air/water moves into the area in front of the seat and is forced into the duct that sits just in front of the seat and exits over the rectifier. If you remove it then the water will drop right down on to the riva 3" filter.
    The X is a little different and use's duct work, but if removed it will be exactly the same. Water will enter there if the ski is sumersed from a wave , diving or 360's.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf513 View Post
    You could just remove the part that hangs down by the battery.
    Leave the tube that runs from the front of the seat to the front compartment.

This will help with airflow, while keeping the water ingestion risk down
    If I leave this section of the tube will I still need to relocate the rectifier or will the airflow be enough to cool it even though its no longer connected?

Quote Originally Posted by wyatteurp View Post
    If I leave this section of the tube will I still need to relocate the rectifier or will the airflow be enough to cool it even though its no longer connected?
    I'm assuming the rectifer is now mounted next to the battery? I think it should be fine.
    Maybe someone else with a stage 1 can comment on the rectifier cooling and whether it actually requires air to be blown across the heat sink.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRXP View Post
    Possible and will happen. The seat seals to the engine compartment hole. Air/water moves into the area in front of the seat and is forced into the duct that sits just in front of the seat and exits over the rectifier. If you remove it then the water will drop right down on to the riva 3" filter.
    The X is a little different and use's duct work, but if removed it will be exactly the same. Water will enter there if the ski is sumersed from a wave , diving or 360's.

Ahh.... my apologies. I didn't read the org. post correctly. I thought he was talking about the intake tube that goes under the intake manifold. .

You are definitly correct.

-=Mike G.

Thread Information