+1

any must do's for a 98 spx?

just bought a 98 spx a few weeks back,kinda side of the road deal dead engine ect.

so i go thru the whole ski,new motor (total rebuild with new parts),removed gas + oil tanks and cleaned,took apart carbs and cleaned had hopes that no rebuild would be nessesary(i was wrong)waiting on rebuild kit as i type.

did all the tlc stuff for the hull,actually looks decent.

so i do all this,throw in a new batt,go for a quick test ride........15 seconds later it overheats..........the water inlet on the pump broke off.no biggie i tear doen the pump,bought 2 new pump logs just in case,throw it all back together and go for a test ride........runs good but you can tell the carbs are **** hence the rebuild kit on the way.

so now that i made ya read all that,i can ask my question........any must do's on these ski's?the only thing i know of (and thats from reading this forum) is the grey tempo gas lines gotta go........actually did that today.

other things i should be doing/looking for?

thanks guys.

Clean out the fuel separator. It may have a bunch of debris or getting full with water. I assume you cleaned out any crap in the flame arrestors too when doing the carbs? Pull the high tension leads out of the plug caps and snip off about a 1/4 inch, re-screw them in and really come onto the zip-ties when securing them. They have a tendancy to wear out at the plug cap and back away from the internal threaded post. Change the jet pump fluid, any synthetic 80W90 gear lube is good. I use Castrol Syntec in mine. Put a couple of shots of grease in the prop shaft where the gray cover with the big plastic wingnuts are found, that's all I can think of at the moment

+1
    actually have done all those things already (but thank you for the reply).never had a rave motor before,anything that needs doing in that area?

Yeah, if you haven't done it yet remove them and clean off any carbon build up. They can be adjusted but it's best to leave them at factory spec. There are also downloadable manuals that I along with a few others have grouped together and posted. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62613

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Make sure you remove the internal filter screen in each carb and blow it out. Screens don't come with rebuild kits.

Banned User
    This rebuild kit does! ->http://seadoosource.com/carbpkgs.html

+1
    If you are running oil injection, make sure the oil pump alignment marks are set properly.
    Check the OEM carbon seal and make sure it is sealing well, if not, I would upgrade to the carrier style seal with a grease fitting.
    Check all your hose clamps and zip ties
    Pull on the engine and check to make sure your motor mounts are still intact.
    Inspect the wear ring clearance
    Check the pump assembly for oil level, change if needed.
    Do a compression check and get a baseline of your motor.
    Last edited by RX951; 07-06-2008 at 01:22 PM.

+1
    I would clean or replace the fuel selector switch if you did not get to it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JPX View Post
    This rebuild kit does! ->http://seadoosource.com/carbpkgs.html

funny.............i bought mine from you on e-bay

+1
    just a quick follow up to the carb rebuild kit post,recived my kit today from sea doo source.......this kit is better than advertised.....has everything and i mean everything you need to rebuild not only the carbs themselves (including needles, springs, arms,filters,)......but everyhing you need for a fuel pump rebuild as well.........and he included all new hex screws for the carb bodies as well to replace all the factory slotted screws.

all for the price of a mikuni factory kit that has half the parts.outstanding kit,anyone who needs a kit i would highly recomend sea doo source for your kit.

Thread Information