Thread: Check for this

Check for this

Here's a little something to look out for. I finally got around to putting on my Riva air intake kit (front) and when i got to moving air hoses up by the battery I noticed corrosion on the hold down nut. Closer investigation reveals that the battery vent tube was not even hooked to the battery, but just stuck in between the battery and hold down. Removed the battery and tray, found acid all under it. Cleaned it the best I could and finished my install. I have access to acid neutralizer at work, but it leaves everything orange/red afterwards. Any other options of what to use? Going to talk to the dealer about new hold down, tray and nuts. By the way, in the Riva instrctions it tells you to reuse the clamps for supercharger, but mine didn't fit, is it because it's an X?

+1
    I had something similar happen. I think someone reversed the polarity of my trickle charger last winter. The battery leaked acid all over the tray and stuff and caused corrosion. I replaced the battery and sanded and re-painted all the hardware. It's fine now, especially since I switched both my ski's to sealed batteries.

Water neutralizes acid. Just remove the battery and hardware, prop the front of the ski trailer up on something, then start hosing it out. It'll be fine.

Mike

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Baking soda and water will do the trick. Water does not neutralize acid, it dilutes it. Big difference. Come on Mike, did theat engineering degree not require a couple of chemistry classes? My other forum name could be ChemistRod.
    Last edited by NCHeel; 07-05-2008 at 09:09 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    Baking soda and water will do the trick. Water does not neutralize acid, it dilutes it. Big difference. Come on Mike, did theat engineering degree not require a couple of chemistry classes? My other forum name could be ChemistRod.
    Yes, you are correct. And yes, I took a year of Chemistry...10 years ago. I suppose I used the wrong terminology. You can still rinse it out with water - as long as you dilute it enough to get the pH over about 5 it will become harmless.

Mike

Thanks for the input guys. I'll neutralize with baking soda and then rinse with water. Easy. Anyway, did anyone else run into the too small oem clamps that Riva says to reuse with their air kit? I just bought new ones to finish the job, but it sucks having to stop in the middle of a job to run to the parts store. Water is finally down, so its time to see how fast she is with all these new parts. (Riva 3 inch air, intake grate, sponsons and 15/22r)

Thread Information