Refurbished Motor From Seadoo

Hello Fellow GREENHULKSTERS.

I have some questions that I hope to get some answers and opinions on.

My 07 rxt of 47 hours had low compression (78 in the number 2 cylinder) and from what the dealer says it spun a bearing. In its low compression state it started, ran but sounded horrible. METAL CLINKING noise and when the engine was turned off, it would come to an immediate halt vs the normal shutting off gracefully sound (I hope that makes sense) I just received my ski back from the dealer and I was told that it is a refurbished engine from seadoo and that my warranty will still apply to the new engine (extended warranty good till 2012) and that I would have to do the 10 hour break in procedure again.

My questions for you are what is included in a refurbished motor, Is it really good as new....I kinda loss faith in putting my mods back in as perhaps they are to blame for the premature failure. I am actually considering trading it in for the x and be done with modding. I was really happy with the way she was running prior to the failure. With the added mods I was beating the t-x's out of the hole and just kept on trucking. I would like to hear your point of view regarding the condtion of a refurbished motor and whether or not to put the mods back in or sell them and trade up for the x.

Thanks for your input and feedback.

Ken
    Last edited by Pinoy; 07-06-2008 at 02:55 AM.

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    Hello Fellow GREENHULKSTERS.

I have some questions that I hope to get some answers and opinions on.

My 07 rxt of 47 hours had low compression (78 in the number 2 cylinder) and from what the dealer says it spun a bearing. In its low compression state it started, ran but sounded horrible. METAL CLINKING noise and when the engine was turned off, it would come to an immediate halt vs the normal shutting off gracefully sound (I hope that makes sense) I just received my ski back from the dealer and I was told that it is a refurbished engine from seadoo and that my warranty will still apply to the new engine (extended warranty good till 2012) and that I would have to do the 10 hour break in procedure again.

My questions for you are what is included in a refurbished motor, Is it really good as new....I kinda loss faith in putting my mods back in as perhaps they are to blame for the premature failure. I am actually considering trading it in for the x and be done with modding. I was really happy with the way she was running prior to the failure. With the added mods I was beating the t-x's out of the hole and just kept on trucking. I would like to hear your point of view regarding the condtion of a refurbished motor and whether or not to put the mods back in or sell them and trade up for the x.

Thanks for your input and feedback.

Ken
    Thats a though question!!!

The only way you would every know what is in a refurbished engine is to take it apart and look or if seadoo gave you a list of what was replased!!

Good luck on the second one.

IMO. This is what sould be in a refurbished engine.

1. Full set bearings
    2. 3 new rods
    3. 3 new pistons & rings, first oversize
    4. 6 new Intake valves
    5. 6 exast valves
    6. Timming chain
    7. Chian guides
    8. All gaskets & seals

If the engine is still coverd under warranty. I would put the mods back on
    From what you describing it sounds like you burned up a rod bearing or seized a piston!!

Shibby says they are built like a tank...
    I would break it in and run it like a new one...and thank you for the warranty. Glad to see seadoo really stands behind their engines.

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Shibby says they are built like a tank...
    I would break it in and run it like a new one...and thank you for the warranty. Glad to see seadoo really stands behind their engines.
    This is great news. I was actually going to PM Shibby and ask him this question. LOL.

YEP!!! The warranty helped big time. I was told a new engine is in the 7k range. OUCH. Still undecided on the route to go. GET the x and be happy, or put all of my stuff back in and go RUDE, RRFPR and AFR.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Nils888 View Post
    Thats a though question!!!

The only way you would every know what is in a refurbished engine is to take it apart and look or if seadoo gave you a list of what was replased!!

Good luck on the second one.

IMO. This is what sould be in a refurbished engine.

1. Full set bearings
    2. 3 new rods
    3. 3 new pistons & rings, first oversize
    4. 6 new Intake valves
    5. 6 exast valves
    6. Timming chain
    7. Chian guides
    8. All gaskets & seals

If the engine is still coverd under warranty. I would put the mods back on
    From what you describing it sounds like you burned up a rod bearing or seized a piston!!
    NILS - Please check your PM'S

+1
    Ken, when I was looking to rebuild the motor on my 04 rxp I went through everything with the dealer... it was gonna cost 6.5k so I asked any other routes and they said they can do a refurb factory motor from BRP for like 6k. Either route would include complete factory components. My motor had a bent rod in the #2 cyl. With that in mind the dealer becasue they are a "seadoo" dealership were required by seadoo to replace all the rods/pistons, have the crank checked out, replace all bearings, etc etc. Basically they were forced to make it a totally brand new engine had I bought it from the showroom floor.

To me it sounds like this is what your dealer did... they should be able to provide you a list of parts that were replaced... I know my dealer did just for the estimate... it was 2 pages long in parts!

I would break your motor in and after 10 hours slap an external IC and Rude into that bad boy. I would not go with an aftermarket ECU... this way you can keep your warrenty in case there are any problems in the future.

Ahmed

Thread Information