Question About to buy a 96 xp

I'm getting a 1996 sea-doo xp this week and I just wanted some input on this pwc befor I buy it is it a good one is it worth $1700.00? It is in real good shape from the outside I'm getting it from a boat dealer he is giving it a once over right now brfore i pick it up. I looked on the mfd and could not find hours on it does this pwc show hours? engine looks very clean I don't think it's seen much salt water at all and it belonged to an old guy so I don't think he beat it only one owner no dings or repair to the hull paint is perfect. They say its 115hp how fast does this pwc go? Do you think it's a good deal?

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ashelgren View Post
    I'm getting a 1996 sea-doo xp this week and I just wanted some input on this pwc befor I buy it is it a good one is it worth $1700.00? It is in real good shape from the outside I'm getting it from a boat dealer he is giving it a once over right now brfore i pick it up. I looked on the mfd and could not find hours on it does this pwc show hours? engine looks very clean I don't think it's seen much salt water at all and it belonged to an old guy so I don't think he beat it only one owner no dings or repair to the hull paint is perfect. They say its 115hp how fast does this pwc go? Do you think it's a good deal?
    $1700 for a 96 is a good deal.

The 96 XPs never had an hour meter from the factory

It is actually 110 hp which isn't that bad for a stock motor with 782 cc's that makes for a top speed of about 55mph.

The comp. on the heads is 160 & 165 does that sound right for this pwc are they high comp. heads I have a 94 750 sl polaris and all heads are 130psi 165 sounds high is that stock?

Banned User
    165 is pretty good. My 717 hit about 155psi with hundreds of hours on it.
    110hp on the XP's motor is a ton of fun for the money.

I can kill a 96 XP with my 96 HX (717cc/85hp) off the line, but when it comes big speed, the 782/787 is the faster motor. A lot of people are pretty rough with a 13 year old XP - it sounds like you are getting a great deal!

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ashelgren View Post
    The comp. on the heads is 160 & 165 does that sound right for this pwc are they high comp. heads I have a 94 750 sl polaris and all heads are 130psi 165 sounds high is that stock?
    165 Those are definatly aftermarket heads. YOu will need to be running high octane gas in that. I think you will need aviation gas at the minimum.

Thread Information