Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skat Trak SS wear ring/double bearing pump mod loss of rpms

Well, after the weekend of headaches on this machine trying to figure out why it was running crappy and lost rpms/speed we figured out where the problem was. After swapping pumps with Kevin's (Krazy-K) we pinpointed the lost rpms/speeds to the pump area. Kevin's pump brung back the rpms and franks pump on Kevin's rxp droped his rpms down. The pump mod frank(peteshauling) got from Skat Trac was the problem.

Frank did the SS wear ring and double bearing mod from Skat Trac. The pump was mis-clearanced and the prop was not blue printed. I think the setup from Skat Trac was crap. The prop was burning the wear ring at one spot. I took some pictures but they are crappy quality. Sorry I need to buy a better digital camera. The prop had no clearance between the wear ring at all. We stuck a piece of paper inbetween there and it cut the paper to shreads. Feeler gage reading was .0015 or .038mm paper thin. The wear ring had burn marks in one area that showed the prop touching the wear ring.... Hummm... I though this was the reason why Frank went with this mod. To avoid toasting plastic wear rings. Sure the wear ring has burn marks and isn't damaged like a regular plastic one would be, but the prop blades are taking the hit. I guess one of the blades on his prop isn't equal to the other 3 blades.

Well after paying $500 for this mod, I would think they would have checked the clearance and made sure there was no problems. The prop would barely spin without catching on the wear ring.
    BAD QUALITY FROM WHAT I SEEN. I can't believe they assembled this pump this way and shipped it. Frank should have checked it before he installed it, but he was in a hurry after waiting 3 weeks to get on the water.

Well, we took the whole pump apart to find the cone had water mixed in the oil because the prop was catching on the wear ring..causing the bearing to injest some water past the seal. This is probably why franks pump oil looked milky.

I sanded down the 14/19 PPG repitch prop lightly and tried to make all the leading edges equal to the best we could. Test fitted it numerous times till we got a clearance of .006 or .152mm on the feeler gauge.

Any one know what the clearance is suppose to be? I don't have a manual to check.

I think Frank should have went with Bruce Taylors mods insteed of Skat Tracs. There wear ring is a sold piece while this Skat track one looks like a paper thin wear ring that went over the original plastic one. It's held in by two screws that were ground down flat on the inside.

Anyways... we will do more testing on Wed to see if this brings the rpms and speeds back to normal.

Here are 4 pictures I took tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump4_865.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump3_212.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump2_207.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump1_899.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	258  

I almost had skat trak do the exact same mod for me but I didnt want the 3-4 weeks of down time. I just bought the stainless wear ring from Bruce and installed it today. Sounds like I made the right decision. I hope to try my ski out tomarrow.
    That will suck sending your pump back to skat and have to wait another 3 weeks for them to redo it. Then paying for the shipping again.

Nitro... YUP.... That's why I came over Franks house today to take it apart and we fixed it. A little sanding here and there and the clearance issue is hopefully solved. We didn't sand too much, but enough that it doesn't touch the wear ring anymore. Frank was ticked to say the least.... I couldn't imagine him waiting another 3 weeks for them to basically do the same thing.

We will see Wed if this works... I'm pretty sure it will. It's kinda like our Kawi pumps when we shim them.

At least skat trak ring will weight less since its not a solid piece. The solid stainless ring I got form Bruce is really heavy compared to the pastic ring. I guess I will have to lose the extra weight to make up the difference.

+1
    Frank/Darren, that is a real bummer to hear. That's the tough part for us RXP modders, we are the pioneers at this point and what's that cheesy line about the pioneers always having arrows in their backs?

I have seen those marks before. Not quite as bad, but our Frank(o) has those marks in his Bruce SS wear-ringed pump as well. It seems like his Solas made those marks as well? Did Skat put your Solas in? Or was it done locally? If so, who reptiched your Solas?

I am also running a Bruce SS wear-ringed Solas based pump setup. I got my Solas from PPG. When I installed it, I don't remember hearing a "ting" when I spun the prop around by hand though. I think Frank may have had one though.

I ran Franko's pump with the stock prop at 8400 RPM, but maybe we need to stick my pump in Franko's ski and see what happens?

+1
    Under thrust, an impellers blades will flex slightly. The OEM pump might flex more than the Solas because it has thinner blades. You don't necessarily have th hear a "clink" when you spin the prop by hand to have it rub the wear ring when in use. If you do hear the clink, it is definitely going to rub worse when used. Like I said in another post, there has to be a reason why so many are gouging up their plastic rings. Unless the problem is corrected it will continue and the SS ring/prop will also be damaged. You can't cure a disease without knowing what the disease is.

Richard

+1
    Damn i hate to hear that. Just when i was about to send my pump in for the double bearing mod.

Yes, Bruce Taylors solid SS wear ring is a very nice piece. 30+ hours with no issues.

I sanded down the 14/19 PPG repitch prop lightly and tried to make all the leading edges equal to the best we could. Test fitted it numerous times till we got a clearance of .006 or .152mm on the feeler gauge.

Any one know what the clearance is suppose to be? I don't have a manual to check

Enufpwr,

The manual states the "Maximum wear clearance for all 4-TEC models is 0.35 mm/.014 in" Didn't see anything for the minimum.

I spoke with skat trak today re: the double bearing mod and ss liner. The pump is supposed to leave their shop with .007-.015" clearence between the impeller and the liner. The pump liner i.d. is speced at .014-.030" larger than the impeller o.d.

Jarrett, I got my 14-19 with a re-pitch fron PPG. It wasn't trued, two blads were off, I was off 400rpms, little grinding,sanding got 200rpms back. Checked my pump today, still have minor burn marks on the ring, We'll fix that and I'll get my 200rpms back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information