Why does it keep cavitating???

I am a little new to all of this, but I am very mechanically inclined and I own an automotive repair shop so I thought I could figure it out. I purchased a 99 LS2000 and I can't get it to hook up. I checked the impeller clearance and it is about .005 or less. I sealed the pump transom plate as well as replaced the duct because of a few pits. The boat does pretty good once it planes out, but it has no hole shot at all. It is also taking on water from somewhere during operation and not sitting stationary. Any ideas?
    Last edited by David Johnson; 07-06-2008 at 06:18 PM.

+1
    when you replaced the pump liner did you use some sealant? Make sure is it is sealed and there is no corrision, a wire brush works good. Also, I don't think they made the LS2000 in 88 maybe you mean 98.

+1
    Take a look at the hose that seals the pump cavity to the intermediate bearing assembly. It's the hose that the drive shaft slides thru to get to the engine. This hose sometimes gets soft, and on takeoff, there is a vacuum in front area of the pump(grate side). This vacuum sometimes collapses the hose enough that it rubs on the drive shaft that goes thru it. This will wear a hole thru it, allowing the pump to suck air on accelleration, and also will leak water into the boat. Usually you can see this hose under the back storage area tub. It has hose clamps on it on both ends, and requires the pump to be removed so the hose can be changed to a stiffer replacement. Do a search on GPR drive shaft hose to find what some guys use for replacement. I used a Gates marine hose that was much stiffer than stock, but don't remember the details. IT has a wire reinforcement in it.

My boat is actually a 99, sorry about that, I corrected it above. I removed the pump assembly yesterday and resealed the transom plate. Today I went to the lake to check it out and couldn't believe the difference. There is still some prop slip though. BUT, the worse thing now is that I lost power in one of the motors. It will run fine at low speed and it will run on plane for a little while and then just die! It is a little hard to start, but it will start. If it was a car I would say it acts like it's flooded. Any ideas? What a pain in the a$$!! makes me wish I had a I/O!

+1
    where are located?
    no overheat warnings? could be carb related.

It may be a heating problem. I let it set for about 15-20 minutes to change the plugs and then it ran fine for about 5 minutes. It started acting up again after that though. Someone said it might be getting hot and the pistons are starting to sieze, causing the loss of power. But why would it run fine at low speed? I'm hope it's a carb problem and not the motor. I will do a compression test in a little while.

Thread Information