Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Why won't she start!

94 SL 650. Gone though all electrical. Finally got good spark at the plug. Runs of starter fluid or gas poured down the carb. I even pulled off the fuel line to the fuel pump and poured fuel in. It sucked it in with good pressure, so it has to be going somewhere, but wouldn't start that way either. Any ideas? Included pics of fuel lines and pump. Where to start?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back of fuel pump and lines.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	807.9 KB 
ID:	81529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front of fuel pump.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	81530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel lines and carbs.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	81531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel lines and switch.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	904.1 KB 
ID:	81532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel switch.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	731.3 KB 
ID:	81533  

if it's sucking fuel it it it may just be going back thru the return! and into the tank ? and somone bypassed the fuel switch? hopefully the line going to the tank is the on side?
    any history? you may have gummed carbs

+1
    It looks like someone buy passed the fuel selector? Have you cleaned the carbs?? Check the fuel line routing and make sure it is correct.

More info

It was rebuilt about 8 years ago from blown piston by a mechanic. Not sure why he ended up crossing the fuel lines, but all I figured it meant was I didn't have a reserve anymore. It has 3 lines coming from the front tank. One goes to the selector switch "IN" connection. One goes to the furl filter, seperator, then pump, and the other goes down below the carbs, so I am guessing it's the return. It did run last year, so I know it works, but last time I had it out, it acted like it was running off 2 cylinders again, so I figured blown piston, but was happy to see good compression. but it sounds like the best place to start is cleaning the carbs?

I would inspect the carbs! fuel system

New development

If I pour a little gas down the carb, and get it started, I can keep it running at high RPM as long as I want to. Once it gets past a certain point, it loses RPM and dies. Sounds like the "Low RPM fuel screw" needs loosening. But the "High RPM fuel screw" works great. Just kidding. Def sound like carbs need turning?

Oh and FYI, I had it hooked up to hose, so I wouldn't damage anything running it high RPM.
    Last edited by ChopperPilot08; 07-06-2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Forgot info

well it does sound like gum in the low circuit or a fuel restriction, but these carbs are so easy to inspect it's not worth the risk of not checking them out

+1
    I would pull the carbs and clean. Adjust the Idle stop screw and verify that the High and Low speed screws are set correct. If running on the hose make sure you do not turn the water on until the engine starts and shut the water off before the engine stops.

?

Why would water pressure through the engine when it isn't running hurt it? Wouldn't you need a lot of water pressure to do any damage?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopperPilot08 View Post
    Why would water pressure through the engine when it isn't running hurt it?
    Wouldn't you need a lot of water pressure to do any damage?
    These engines utilize a 'wet' exhaust system, where soem of the cooling water is sprayed right into the exhaust system.

When the engine is running, the exhaust gases push the water spray out the back of the exhaust system, away from the engine.

When the engine is NOT running, that water can pool and run back into the engine exhaust ports.

This is why the engine should be running before the water starts flowing, and the water should stop flowing before the engine is stopped. Ensures that the 'wet exhaust' water spray stays out of the engine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information