Water in motor - 97 XP 787

Typically my XP is stored on a lift but this weekend I went up to another lake and after some time on the water I stopped to swim and let it float for maybe 15 or 20 min.... when I got back on it was really hard to start, make some backfire sounds but eventually started and ran horrible for about 1/2 mile before it took off like it usually does. I rode for a bit and parked it for maybe 2 hours and when I jumpeed back on the engine would not turn over.... when I pulled the plugs and cranked it quite a bit of water came shooting out!!!!!! I blew out as much water as possible and got it started again only to find it ran the exact same way as the time before.... very hard to get going but once it took off it ran fine.

anyway... I rode it full throttle for about 20 min to dry everything out then put it right onto the trailer and blew the water out of the exhaust after it was out.

Any idea what could have caused water in the engine while it was sitting?

I never tipped it or rolled it at all and there was never any water in the hull... it was just sitting tied to a pole in the water

I have never had this happen before but I also usually keep it parked on a lift out of the water

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skidooosl View Post
    Any idea what could have caused water in the engine while it was sitting?
    A leak.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skidooosl View Post
    anyway... I rode it full throttle for about 20 min to dry everything out then put it right onto the trailer and blew the water out of the exhaust after it was out.
    You did the right thing for the engine but I would remove the plugs and fog the snot out of it. Bump the starter and fog agian.

To find the leak, dry it out and put the ski in the water on the trailer w/the back cover off and look for water. It may only need greece in the fittings. Also, check the sponson bolts.

I fogged it as soon as I got home.... and there is no water in the hull so it must be comming through the cooling system somewhere.... anyone know where / how to check?

are you 100% sure it was water? bad needle valves (carbs)can leak alot of fuel into the engine and make it run all flooded until you blow it out. If it was water, you may have a bad exhaust manifold or a cracked one. There really is no easy way for water to get into the engine without a major leak, especially when the motor is not running. Also too, a leak into your engine of that magnitude would create a worse air/water leak and the motor would not run properly at all.

thats what I was thinking.... it seems quite odd it ran so good if something is leaking that bad.

I did run some OMC Engine Tuner in it several weeks ago.... could that hurt anything?

I will put it in the water without the plugs in it and see if the engine floods and maybe I can see from where

I am sure it was not gas.... that was my first thought

Thanks for the help so far!

Thread Information