Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Burned Wires-Polaris SL 750

I had my 95 sl 750 out today and it worked fine for a bit. After i shut the engine off, the start button wasnt working and nothing was happening. I pulled the seat off and smoke was coming from the engine. Turns out something shorted out and burnt a few of the wires coming from the electrical box. The wires went to a spot in the motor that i couldnt see, but a friend says it goes to the stater. Is it possible to replace the wires on it? And does any wire work?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like you have indeed burned some of the stator wires. You can splice in any stranded wire that is heavy enough to handle the current. Best to use the same wire gauge as was there before.

Make sure you check every wire for damage, even those that don't look burned. You may need to remove the stator to get at and repair the damaged ends near the stator.

Be sure to waterproof the repaired connections, and check all the stator coils with an ohm-meter against the Service Manual specs.

Protect the repaired cable from abrasion and damage.

alright, thanks for the advice. I'm in Ontario too, and I was wondering where you got parts for your polaris. I don't know of any polaris pwc dealers around hamilton or toronto at all.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdewey15 View Post
    I'm in Ontario too, and I was wondering where you got parts for your Polaris. I don't know of any Polaris PWC dealers around Hamilton or Toronto at all.
    Update your Profile with your info, so we can keep track of who is where, and rides what.

Polaris dealers seem to be few and far between in Ontario. Sometimes the Polaris snowmobile dealers will also service the Polaris PWC, and some of those dealers used to also sell the PWC.

They at least should have access to the Polaris service computer system, so can access the records and Service Bulletin data for your particular HIN numbers.

I get most of my parts from Babbitts, shipped to an intermediate address in Grand island, NY (shipping service). Then I go pick the stuff up, pay GST+PST on the way back into Canada. 4-5 hour round trip.

In Barrie, there is;
    CENTRAL ONTARIO POWER SPORTS INC
    77 PATTERSON RD
    BARRIE, ON L4N3V9

Phone: (705) 721-7827
    Fax: (705) 721-7404
    Email: [email protected]

Talked with them on the phone, not used them for much yet. Web site seems to be off-line at the moment...

my sl650 did the same thing. it burnt the black wire. was told it grounded out on bottom of black box. i didn't have battery cover. i've replaced wire but in process of putting back together.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by m00n1957 View Post
    ...was told it grounded out on bottom of black box. I didn't have battery cover. I've replaced wire but in process of putting back together.
    Is THAT the failure mechanism for these toasted black stator wires I read about every so often?

The positive battery post is shorting to the metal casing of the electrical box, and the black wire to the stator can't handle the heavy short circuit current...

That might explain the burned black stator wire (always the black wire) cases, if those owners did not have the plastic battery cover in place, or somehow the positive battery post/cable touches the electrical box shell.

Nothing to do with poor or loose connections inside the box, or bad LR regulators, or bad stator coils!

+1
    this happend to me last summer, it just quit on me, every wire going to the black box melted/shorted out between there and the stator, after getting it home and pulling the front cover i found water behind the flywheel cover which leads me to suspect the water shorted out the stator

Ok...so old thread revived...
    Same thing happened to my 1995 SL750 this weekend...
    I know it was the battery shorting out on the electrical box...mostly cause of my carelessness!
    However, i had a nasty smoke show in the middle of the lake and after along tow in some inspection on land see i have a whole bunch of burnt wires!!

Does this ruin components in the electrical box? the stator or cdi or whatever inside??
    Or is this just a simple wire replacement?????

Man....Now i know why i spend more time on my boat these days.....

Any advice from someone before i get started would be appreciated!!
    Also, advice on disconnecting wires etc...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bfofre View Post
    ...Same thing happened to my 1995 SL750 this weekend...
    I know it was the battery shorting out on the electrical box...mostly cause of my carelessness!
    However, i had a nasty smoke show in the middle of the lake and after along tow in some inspection on land see i have a whole bunch of burnt wires!!

Does this ruin components in the electrical box? the stator or CDI or whatever inside??
    Or is this just a simple wire replacement?...
    There are two areas to focus on.

1) The wire bundle between electrical box and stator.

2) The Black wiring within the electrical box.

You may need to remove the stator from the engine, if the wires are burned right into the flywheel housing. You can either try to repair/replace the burned stator wires, or buy a good used stator.

John Zigler and Beach_Blonde are two sources for used parts, and you can peruse the Polaris Classifieds.

Check the Polaris parts cross reference, as I think you can use a stator from several different Polaris models/years.

Inside the electrical box, look for damage to the black wiring that connects the terminal board to the box shell. Also check the terminal board for damage, front and back.

The electronic CDI and LR modules may well have survived. You won't know until you get the stator fixed/replaced, and get any damaged black/ground wiring inside the box fixed.

Am i to assume a stator replacement means engine removal?? Doesn't look like a bunch of room in there to work.
    I am thinking the damage was contained to the wires outside of the electrical box from my initial visual inspection! But who knows...I'll have to open it up and take a look!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information