Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to PWC

New to PWC

I'm totally new to PWC and don't even know where to begin. I'm poking around on the forums reading as much as I can but I figure to get more I'll post. I'm wandering what a good size ski to start on would be. Preferablly I'd like it to pack some punch though. I'm a big guy at 250 so load might be an issue when it comes to a possible second rider. I haven't purchased any WC's and probably won't for awhile I just want to build my knowledge before I move into an investment.

BTW: Should I go for broke on my first purchase or be somewhat conservative? I really like the GP's.

and the seadooman is the first thing that popped into my head. I'm open to all manufacturers.

I personally would "go for broke". I bought a used XPL 951 and ditched it after the first summer. I then went looking at the Yami's and couldn't decide between the GP800R or the GP1200R. I went with the 1200 and started modding on day 1 never looking back. The thing is, you can never have too much power on the water in my opinion , jsut treat it with respect and use your head and you'll be fine. It way too expensive to keep trading up as well.
    Welcome to the forum!

+1
    welcome to the forum

check these threads out
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...nal+watercraft

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...nal+watercraft

Also take the time to know the PWC rules in your state. They can be found o the Parks and Wildlife website of your state.
    Education is a priority !
    Last edited by RX951; 07-06-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks for the quick responses voodoo and rx. And unfortunately for my band account I'll probably go with voodoo, LOL. I usually go for broke on purchases. The GP's are extremely nice and fast with light or no mods it seems. And thanks for the links RX, I'm fairly good with boating etiquette. My family has owned boats in the past and I'm fairly vigilant about watching how to drive. When it comes to PWC's I hate watching some of the people who are complete idiots about riding theirs.

Also just to ask a newbie question is a GPRxp build when you take a GP hull and throw in a XP motor? Is the GP hull lighter or something?

Moderated
    seadooman
    i was in this same position about 2 years ago...i nearly bought a brand new RXP but a mate talked me out of it and into a GPR instead...i cant thank him enough and have never looked back.

i still have my first ski but it no longer resembles what it once was , its the greenhulk syndrome

gpr's are reasonably fast stock (62-68mph) depending on what year you get and its condition and they are easy to work on as they are 2 stroke as well as being arguably the most stable ski platform available.

i love mine and i think you will find everyone on this side of the board will say the same thing....they were made to be punished

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadooman87 View Post
    Also just to ask a newbie question is a GPRxp build when you take a GP hull and throw in a XP motor? Is the GP hull lighter or something?
    Here is the section of the thread that discusses the GPRXP personal watercraft.
    Members are taking the 4-tec Sea-Doo 4 stroke supercharged intercooled motor and installing the powerplant in a 2000-current GPR hull.
    The GPR hull is lighter and the 4-tec motor compliments the hull with the 215 hp powerplant really nice. Minimal inner hull modifications need to be done to accomodate for it. It is very popular right now. With a bone stock 4-tec motor, the GPRXP's run approximately 80-82mph with no motor mods.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126

+1
    id go for something on the cheaper end that would be easy to sell later. if you go for broke and you dont like it then you will be out a lot of money.

i had a friend that got in and got out pretty quick becuase how much money he was burning.

Buy what you really want or you'll always be wishing you had

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    Buy what you really want or you'll always be wishing you had
    i dont mean to be rude but i kind of take that offensively. early on you stated your opinion and then i stated mine and you can back and repeated your self after i made my statement.

from personal experience i can tell you that i have always gone for the best of the best, dive right in when i got into something thinking oh im gona love this only to do it for a season then get bored with it or not do it any more. my last adventure wound up costing me 2grand + to put 8k on a motorcycle for one season. and thats not including all the gear i bought.

by the way my 800 is not my first ski i bought it for a reason and for the most part am happy with it.

my opinion still stand find something thats nice buy it ride it and see how you like it. at worst sell it and then get something bigger and into the sport or keep it for a back up or for friends so you dont have to go out alone.

if you go buy something like a brand new sho or ho the minute you leave the dealer lot you already lost a grand.

i shoot for a nice use gp1200r or a nice use fxho depending on what you want out of the ski. i would do a ton of research and reading on it to so your not getting caught off guard. i just read something the other day where a guy bought a ski and when out for the first time and burned 15 gallons of gas in 2-3 hours and thought something was wrong and shocked when he found out that it was normal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information