Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Friend in a wheelchair

I have a very good friend who was paralyzed from the bottom of the rib cage down a few years ago. He is doing very well now and is really very active. He has a pontoon boat and we visit almost every weekend on the river.
    We would love to hop on the ski and go for a cruise, the pontoon is a little slow for him Any ideas of a good way to get him on board the ski other than just picking him up and carrying? Thought about laying some planks over to the side of the ski from the dock and letting him "scoot" over to the seat and use the handle bars to help me pull him up.
    Can't wait to get him on the ski with me

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    I had a friend on my ski before with a similar situation..oh wait, no, ohh yeah right, she was on her back and her feet were in the air...yeah totally different...

I think your idea of sitting on the dock, and sliding over onto the seat sounds best.

if he has money he could put a ski hoist on the back of his pontoon.

Then you could have him hoisted ontop of the ski.
    Is he heavy. Why can't he come to the boarding plank and you just pull him up on the back seat then you jump off.

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1
    I remember a guy a few years back who is paralyzed and used to ride an Ultra, he was wearing a harness apparently to hook him on the ski but unfortunately his friends had to put him on the ski and he had to have a follower in case he falls.

I don't know how bad he was handicaped, I didn't know him but we looked at him from the beach on an Oleron weekend (no, he didn't race)

I actually think I could "piggyback" him over on the ski and sit down and adjust his legs for him. Since he is paralyzed at the bottom of the ribcage down he has lost control of his abs and therefore stability while seated without arm or back rests. I 'm thinking I could either do the thing with the "planks", or piggyback him over. If something were to happen I have no doubt I could get him on the ski out in the water (with his assistance).

He actually wants to swim in the river. Looking at getting a hoist with a davit arm to mount on his pontoon. I have a harness (I'm in the rescue business). We could lower him in the water and raise him back up on the boat. When/if he decides to do this, boarding the ski will be much easier.

I never considered putting a harness on him and securing him to me or the ski. Would be a little insurance...thanks 11

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    Hope you find an easy way to get him on! I think he'll have a blast!

Just a thought!

This belongs under..."Thats just so wrong"

I would get the buddy-up parachute harness. The ones that hook the instructor to your back

I would think that you need some sort of plan to get him on the ski from the water as well, just in case he falls off. That sounds like it could be difficult.

How much does he wiegh?

+1
    Guys it has been done. I would hope if god for bid this happend to me i would have friends that would let me do this. i mean waverunning is like my life now. Its a big time stress reliver for me.

i found this on your tube check this out i wish this guy was on this board.

Great find AdamBomb! I'm interested in what you find out watermedic.

I think I might try to mount my ski without using my legs next time out. I bet it's just a technique.
    I woudl think you could swim to the back and then using the grab bar pull yourself out of the water and put your butt onto the back plank of the ski. You will be sitting backwards. Then turn and hold onto the grab bar and pull your self onto the ski.

Did you say he has no abdomin functionality ? Not sure the above would work without abs for stabilizing.
    The guy from the video might have been from quads,down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information