A few problems after great day-01 Challenger 2000

Just got back in from a great day at the lake, but ran into a few problems. Bought this 01 Seadoo Challenger 2000 back in May and has run great so far but today not so much.

Went tubing and swimming for a couple of hours turning the boat off and on with no problems then we stopped 1 more time and the boat would not start. This is the second time it has happened. It has new plugs and turns over fine. The only 2 times it has happened is when I've turned the boat off and on a few times in about 10 minutes. If I let it set for 20-30 min it starts back up. Is it flooding out? Not a mechanic but I can tinker around a little bit.

The big problem I found was as we sere finishing up for the day I opened the trunk and saw the bilge had about 4-5 gallons of water in it. I found there is water spraying from the bottom of the motor where it mounts in the back to the bottom plate. It looks as if there is a gasket there and water is coming out by the bolt. Is this the gasket leaking? Does the motor need pulled to replace this? Anyone know how much a boat repair would charge?

Thanks for your time. Any help greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeboy73 View Post
    Went tubing and swimming for a couple of hours turning the boat off and on with no problems then we stopped 1 more time and the boat would not start. This is the second time it has happened. It has new plugs and turns over fine. The only 2 times it has happened is when I've turned the boat off and on a few times in about 10 minutes. If I let it set for 20-30 min it starts back up. Is it flooding out? Not a mechanic but I can tinker around a little bit.
    It's an EFI engine so it's not flooding. When you say it won't start but turns over fine, what do you mean? That the starter can always turn over the engine at what sounds like a normal speed but it doesn't start? Or that when you're having the problem the engine doesn't turn over at all? More detail, please.

The big problem I found was as we sere finishing up for the day I opened the trunk and saw the bilge had about 4-5 gallons of water in it. I found there is water spraying from the bottom of the motor where it mounts in the back to the bottom plate. It looks as if there is a gasket there and water is coming out by the bolt. Is this the gasket leaking? Does the motor need pulled to replace this? Anyone know how much a boat repair would charge?
    I had this exact situation. The gasket in question is the one between the powerhead and the "adapter plate" that matches the powerhead to the M2 jetdrive. Mine was the first I'd encountered, but I'm starting to hear of a few of them. The gasket doesn't look like the best material in the world and I suppose they're starting to deteriorate as they age.

The bad news is that yes, to replace the gasket you have to lift the powerhead off the jetdrive. Not really as bad as it sounds, but it's still a decent amount of effort (I'd estimate 2-3 hours off and another 1-2 back on) and I'd worry about a shop getting things put back together properly. I can't remember what the gasket costs but the labor is likely to be the big factor.

The good news is that you can fix it yourself, which is what I did, and it takes only about 30-60 minutes. I purchased one tube of the paste-consistency JBWeld at a hardware store. This has two putty-like substances, one is the epoxy (black) and the other is the hardener (grey). You tear off equal amounts of each and mix and mash them together with your fingers to get an equal color distribution, then you can apply it without it running due to gravity.

I got into the engine compartment and had my wife hand the epoxy to me. It's awkward, but you can bend down and get your fingers all along the seam between the engine block and the adapter plate. I firmly pressed a bead of the epoxy all along that seam where the leak occurred, going 2-3 inches beyond the leak on both sides to prevent a future "blowout". I pressed it in as hard as I could to force it into the nooks and crannies. Then I covered that bead with a second one, filleting it out along the metal surfaces on both sides.

The stuff firms up in about 15 minutes and achieves full strength in (IIRC) 24 hours. Tests showed zero leaks thereafter, and it's holding nicely 1+ year and 100+ engine hours later. If it fails, which I don't expect, applying replacement epoxy will be just as easy. If I need to separate the engine from the jetdrive at some future point, I doubt a few linear inches of epoxy are going to hold them together and I'll chip away what remains. Even if I have to reapply the epoxy every year or two, it's still far less expensive than pulling the engine and it risks nothing else as far as the engine goes (including inept mechanics at a dealership not properly reinstalling the engine, which is my biggest fear).

Report back on what you decide to do!

[quote=WAPWC;707088]It's an EFI engine so it's not flooding. When you say it won't start but turns over fine, what do you mean? That the starter can always turn over the engine at what sounds like a normal speed but it doesn't start? Or that when you're having the problem the engine doesn't turn over at all? More detail, please.quote]

When I try to start it ,the starter turns the engine over but doesn't start. When I let it sit for 20-30 min. It turns over and starts fine.

About the leak, I was thinking of trying this as I have some JB weld at home. Wasn't sure if it would work so I'm glad to hear it worked for you. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeboy73 View Post
    When I try to start it ,the starter turns the engine over but doesn't start. When I let it sit for 20-30 min. It turns over and starts fine.
    Check your kill switch (the little rubber boot safety switch). That's exactly how the engine behaves if the boot is off - it will crank all day but the ignition system is disabled so the engine won't actually start. Perhaps the switch is getting flaky?

About the leak, I was thinking of trying this as I have some JB weld at home. Wasn't sure if it would work so I'm glad to hear it worked for you. Thanks for the info.
    You'll want the paste version, not the usual "stir the two together" stuff because the latter will be pulled by gravity out of the groove in question.

Thread Information