The return of "Project SLH 1200" (and my SL900)

So I bought this hull and pile of associated parts from a former member here toward the end of last year. I had every intention of jumping right on it and getting it all together....and then I lost my job. And then I got a new job and had to move accross the state and all my fun stuff went in to storage! (It's kind of hard to wrench on things when you're living in a little apartment!) I was planning on buying a house before I went back at it...but....

So now after a long weekend where I should have been out on the water, I got the bug again! I'm going to run down and pick up my two hulls (I also have a '96 SL900 that needs a crank un-twisted) and then get to my POD and recover the 1200 block and other parts.

I'm going to get the 900 crank taken care of and back together so I can have at least one reliable ski to start with. The lower half of the block is actually a 1050 and so is the CDI....and I have a good set of pistons and some core jugs so I might get a little crazy and get the jugs machined and turn it in to a 1050 while I'm at it.

As for the SLH, some of you might remember the write-up on it here. I bought the entire lot...tripple pipes and all.

From memory, it should be 98% complete, needing only to have the CDI reprogramed. I don't plan on using the tripple pipes right off...if at all. I'm actually debating on selling them to help fund the rest of the project.

I've lost touch with the original owner of the project, but from memory the specs are:

2000 SLH hull
    2001 Virage Engine, rebuilt with 0 hours on it
    93 octane (??) domes
    single piece billet head
    Tripple pipes (maybe)

What I was told is that before I install it I need to get the engine to a Polaris dealer to have the "static timing set." Is this true? What does that involve?

I also need to have the CDI that I have (from a 1050 I believe) flashed for this engine. The problem is I don't know exactly what specs I need to go in to it. I would assume starting at the stock 1200 program and then taking in to account the high octane domes? Anything else?

With those two issues taken care of this thing is only a few assembly hours away from being on the lake. (Any members near Austin around to tow me off when it inevitably dies on the maiden voyage?)

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    So I bought this hull and pile of associated parts from a former member here toward the end of last year. I had every intention of jumping right on it and getting it all together....and then I lost my job. And then I got a new job and had to move accross the state and all my fun stuff went in to storage! (It's kind of hard to wrench on things when you're living in a little apartment!) I was planning on buying a house before I went back at it...but....

So now after a long weekend where I should have been out on the water, I got the bug again! I'm going to run down and pick up my two hulls (I also have a '96 SL900 that needs a crank un-twisted) and then get to my POD and recover the 1200 block and other parts.

I'm going to get the 900 crank taken care of and back together so I can have at least one reliable ski to start with. The lower half of the block is actually a 1050 and so is the CDI....and I have a good set of pistons and some core jugs so I might get a little crazy and get the jugs machined and turn it in to a 1050 while I'm at it.

As for the SLH, some of you might remember the write-up on it here. I bought the entire lot...tripple pipes and all.

From memory, it should be 98% complete, needing only to have the CDI reprogramed. I don't plan on using the tripple pipes right off...if at all. I'm actually debating on selling them to help fund the rest of the project.
    Randy at Watcon can program the CDI

I've lost touch with the original owner of the project, but from memory the specs are:

2000 SLH hull
    2001 Virage Engine, rebuilt with 0 hours on it
    93 octane (??) domes
    single piece billet head
    Tripple pipes (maybe)

What I was told is that before I install it I need to get the engine to a Polaris dealer to have the "static timing set." Is this true? What does that involve? Download the service manual from this site,it explains it very clear.

I also need to have the CDI that I have (from a 1050 I believe) flashed for this engine. The problem is I don't know exactly what specs I need to go in to it. I would assume starting at the stock 1200 program and then taking in to account the high octane domes? Anything else?
    What is the CDI you have now off of? Got a part# on it.

With those two issues taken care of this thing is only a few assembly hours away from being on the lake. (Any members near Austin around to tow me off when it inevitably dies on the maiden voyage?)
    Someone should remember the package and who had it.
    Last edited by Keddano; 07-07-2008 at 02:22 PM.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

slh

i remember everything about it,even got the cdi for it and exactly whats needed to make it rip.can't remember for sure but thought he had gene's time it already??? but that might have been the other ski.i believe the motors already aligned.if you run the triples gotta dump the oil injection or at least move the tank from its stock location.the heads weren't ported or port matched to the pipe adapters and not sure if the cylinders are aligned correctly to flat mate with the stock manifold either

+1

seat

and the seat rear mount was destroyed as well,got a fix for that,this is also the ski crazys 42 keihins should have gone on cuz they are the right size,no oil injection,and the color would have been a great addition to the engine and hull color combinations
    Last edited by TxVirageTx; 07-07-2008 at 03:06 PM.

Those are pump gas domes, Del got them from me. Those should be the SLXH pipes, wonder if they have all the couplers? I think I remember Del saying he needed a few and they aren't too cheap.
    JOE

Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    i remember everything about it,even got the cdi for it and exactly whats needed to make it rip.can't remember for sure but thought he had gene's time it already??? but that might have been the other ski.i believe the motors already aligned.if you run the triples gotta dump the oil injection or at least move the tank from its stock location.the heads weren't ported or port matched to the pipe adapters and not sure if the cylinders are aligned correctly to flat mate with the stock manifold either
    Yeah...I think he had your CDI but said he had to give it back to you. (Is that an extra you'll want to sell?) I don't think it was ever timed (and I doubt he would have used Gene's!)...for some reason I think something popped up that he had to rebuild it and never had the timing set after that. The motor was never dropped in to the hull. A set of old core cases was used for the mock-up.

I think the oil injection's already gone...doesn't bug me too much either way. I still doubt I'll be running the tripples. I think running the tripples would also require using a different, smaller fuel tank.

Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    and the seat rear mount was destroyed as well,got a fix for that,this is also the ski crazys 42 keihins should have gone on cuz they are the right size,no oil injection,and the color would have been a great addition to the engine and hull color combinations
    Prett sure I have the parts for the seat latch fix. Also has a brand new hood cowl piece that needs to be drilled and screwed on.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE96XP View Post
    Those are pump gas domes, Del got them from me. Those should be the SLXH pipes, wonder if they have all the couplers? I think I remember Del saying he needed a few and they aren't too cheap.
    JOE
    What do you mean by couplers? Pretty sure they were complete, although I never tried piecing them together. The parts that mount to the engine are there and it looks like everything else required after that is also there.

I could have sworn these were high octane domes....unless maybe I got an extra set of domes with it.

The biggest problem is that all of my parts, including the engines are in a storage POD in a warehouse. I'm going to have to get the the hulls and clean them out, figure out what parts are actually stored inside the hulls and figure what I need to go dig out of the POD.

I literally have an army-style footlocker trunk packed full of jugs and domes and then another big truck bed tool box packed full of other parts.

I need a garage!!!

Hey,what ever happened to good 'ole Del?

I dunno. I lost all my phone numbers when my phone stayed with the old job! And then I moved to Austin.

He sold me this stuff because he was supposed to be moving and couldn't take it all with him.

+1

parts

i think the domes were cut to 92 oct,the mock up was right,forgot about that,he never got to align it,they might be missing one coupler,seems one might have been short as well

Yeah...the engine was never run or even mounted. I can't remember exactly, but I believe after the 1st 1200 sank he started to rebuild and ran in to problems. I think this is a brank new crank.

Dunno for sure on the pipes. What do you mean by coupler?

Found these on an ebay:

I have all of the pipes above. In the pic below, I have the pieces in the middle, pretty sure i have all the springs and hardware on the bottom. Are the parts on the top just the mounts/bushings? Pretty sure they are all attached to the pipes still.

Thread Information