Thread: M 80s .......

M 80s .......

Does anyone know the real dimensions of a real M 80 ??? better yet any pics ???

+1

M80 & Cherry Bombs

Now those were the days of real fireworks. They've been banned since
    1966. We used to dip an M80 in glue then in BB's. Then throw it in a mailbox and/or trash can........and run like @#[email protected]$!
    OK, now that I've hammered on that to the point that you probably don't want to read any more of this, here is the nitty-gritty explanation of "M-80" and "cherry bomb":
    A true, bonafide M-80 is a firecracker designed for military use as a "gunfire simulator." One specification calls for a tube that is 1.5 inches long, 9/16th of an inch in diameter, with a fuse coming out the side rather than the end, and containing 45 grains of a specific pyrotechnic composition. (A "grain" is a unit of weight measurement equal to 64.799 milligrams.) So a true M-80 contains about 2,916 milligrams, or just under 3 grams of a spedific type of pyrotechnic composition. I don't know what the significance of "M-80" means, although the "M" probably stands for "military," I don't know what the "80" means. People have sent me their own explanations of how the "M-80" was named but none of these explanations were definitive. One customer who works at Edgewood CB Center (formerly Edgewood Arsenal) which is one of the locations where military explosives are developed recently sent me an e-mail message on the subject. He has access to the original drawings, and according to him, the 80 was a purely arbitrary designation. So that answer satisfies me.
    A true Cherry Bomb is a relatively spherical firecracker, typically 3/4 inch in diameter, with an outer coating of sawdust bound with sodium silicate and dyed red. These are not as powerful as a true M-80. Both M-80s and "Cherry Bombs" are illegal in the United States, so don't buy them even if you encounter them. You are breaking the law if you sell, possess or use these in the United States. Some countries, such as Germany, Mexico and the Phillippines, may allow large firecrackers similar to these to be sold, but in the United States today, any firecracker sold to the public cannot contain more than 50 milligrams (.05 grams) of pyrotechnic composition per cracker. No matter what the shape, size or design of a firecracker, if it has more than 50 milligrams of powder in it, it's illegal in the United States.
    Up until 1966, large firecrackers such as M-80s and cherry bombs were legal in the United States, and anyone could buy them and shoot them off. If you look through old fireworks catalogs from the 1930s, '40s and '50s, you will see these and even larger firecrackers advertised, all of them perfectly legal at that time. But it all ended in 1966. The Child Protection Act, passed by the U.S. Congress in 1966, specifically banned these devices. In 1976, the federal regulations were rewritten specifying a limit of 50 milligrams of pyrotechnic composition for any firecracker sold to the public in the United States, and that limit is still in effect today. It doesn't matter what they look like or what they are shaped like - ground firecrackers can only contain 50 milligrams of pyrotechnic content per cracker. (Aerial "reports," which are contained within aerial devices such as rockets and shells, can contain up to 129.6 milligrams of composition per report.)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I believe I got myself 18 real M 80s ... now its play time .... Thanks for the info !!!!!!!!!!

+1
    a friend of mine... hmmm... hmmm.. cough.. (i wonder who) had 6 dozen and about 30 quarter sticks, real deal. the quarters were $5.00 each and made the m80's sound like black cat fire crackers.

just be freaking careful! they will blow your hand or arm off!

+1

Thumbs up

One of the coolest things I`ve ever done in my life was to blow up a toilet at an Amaco gas staion when I was about 14. There was a pipe with valve sticking out the wall and a hole in the ground. Not even a tank left. Really cool shit. I recommened this to everyone just once in their life.

So the M80s and M90s and M100s that they sell in Alabama ( because those kind of things are illegal in Florida ) are not real Ms....... Or are they just tuned down?

I don't buy the singer fire bottle rockets or snap crackel and pop anymore. I go for the morters. Some are pretty good. It's like having your own private fireworks show for 2 - 3 minutes.

I got a 100 shot one time and it was the best, couldn't find THAT one.

+1
    The moter balls? Those rock! Throw them man,,,thats the only way in war. It`ll light up eveyones ammo. Ya`ll are cool man. I knew we`d all mesh,,,hey Jerry? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thread Information