Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

help..06 gpr rough idle...around 2900 rpms on trailer cable recall fix done

I have a problem where one of my skis (that actually runs) is idling extremely rough...the rpms arent steady at all and the ski is around 2600 to 3100 rpms while on the trailer...the only mod I have done is some 43mm TBs and I have tried my new recommended efi settings along with my previous seasons settings. I managed to lose my injectors and picked up used ones which I am hoping may be the problem...

Also while out attempting key word attempting to do a WOT run it will bog throughout the entire RPM range of the ski...will not hit above 6600rpms and then basically bogs where it feels like engine dies out and then pulses again with pathetic power. I put in brand new BR9ES plugs into the ski per a few of your recommendations...

local dealership installed a new throttle cable in each...it seems significantly faster at idle while in the water 3 to 4mph which I honestly cant remember what I would idle at last year..but it seemed slower than that based on the wake it seems to throw.

The ski has the following mods done to it..

3 degree keyway, 43mm sonic booms, VF3 reeds, riva domes and riva efi controller. its non ported running a stock stinger. Thats pretty much everything that has been done to the motor itself...BR9ES plugs gapped to .41 no indexing performed just yet to the plugs with the tiny washers like last year. Also a slew of hull mods and reinforcements but they have nothing to do with my issue.

Help me get this ski back to normal before I smash it into a million pieces with a 20 lb sledge.

sincerely frustrated,

-MJE-

+1
    I would say get with Ross to help you sort it out.

Hello Mike,
    Many modifications have been done to your skis, not just my throttle bodies. The injectors i sent you all passed the ohms test at 14.0 ohms.
    Originally you were going to build 2 1390 big bore skis when you purchased the 43mm throttle bodies.
    Now you have a set on a 1300 non ported engine after changing your game plan.
    The 43s will work on a 1300 non ported, but on mine i saw no top speed gains, but it did have more midrange throttle sensitivity.
    I have been on the phone with you many, many times trying to help you, and guide you through the installation of all your parts yourself.
    Now it seems a dealer has had their hands on the skis to do the throttle cable recall also.
    Now you have one ski that wont start, and the other with driveability issues and no power, and obviously, you are out of patience with them.
    I cannot fix your skis over the phone Mike, and the fact that you are so upset at the situation leads me to reccomend one thing.
    Take both your skis to Carl at island racing in port washington, NY, and let him look at them. He is only 4 hours from you. Not bad.
    The building, and tuning, and diagnostics involved in such a build is not easy, and the diagnostic portion of finding the gremlins in your skis is the trickiest of all.
    With all due respect Mike, please take my advice, and call Carl. If i could help any more at this point, you know i would.
    http://www.islandracing.net/
    Thanks,
    Ross

+1
    Ross,

I hope you along with anyone else who may have read this thread don't think I am insinuating any of my problems are with your TB's or started from the TB's...

I was hoping to see a few pictures of what a newly installed throttle cable should look like as well as a question or two on the injectors apparantly not shooting fuel which that problem has been fixed as of today.

You have been a wonderful help and really stand by your product with beyond reliable service. Compared to last year one of the skis hadn't had a single thing changed on it minus the TB mod and the pump bearings cleaned out and regreased properly by Jim. The other has been Lowell'd out and is also back up and running. I just can't for the life of me get these damn things dialed in.

When I have a free moment this week I will reach out to Carl and see what can be done. Hes over 200 miles away from me so it might be a bit before I can drop them off if it comes to that. They will be going back to the dealer for a TPS and general reset through their software to make sure I cover all the little things.

My apologies again if you feel I have targeted you personally.

thanks,

Michael Ethier

You had better call Carl ahead of time, he's slammed/buried with work.

07 GP1300R
    Does the throttle cable bind in anyway when you are turning at WOT? I don't know as much as these guys, but when I got my ski back after the fix it was idleing higher and the cable was binding.

+1
    Well sadly I didn't have the brain capacity to take a picture of the cable attached previously to the handlebars and also into the motor. The cable does not bind and it has been loosened from the throttle body so there is a tiny amount of slack to guarantee it is at "neutral" for throttle position. I'm going to dive into the subject more when I get out of work at some point today.

Mike

I would check your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). I had a lot of issues on my ski last year that your having now. Check to make sure it is in spec. If not adjust it accordingly or you may have to replace it which is not cheap unless you can find someone with a spare.

+1
    I plan on bringing the skis down to the dealer either tomorrow or Wednesday to have the TPS reset once again. Can't I buy the software to do that myself? They don't charge me anything but I figure it'd be nice to have. Also BryanK what should the TPS sensor read at in ohms to check that its alright?

thanks,

Mike

+1
    .80-.81 at idle and 3.75-3.76 at WOT

thats the voltage it should read

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information