GTX keeps blowing up, why?

I have a buddy of mine who blew his 2000 GTX up. The rod came through on the right side of the motor, mainly taking out the reed cage and that portion of the engine. He bought another motor for it off e-bay. 6 hours into riding it, it did the same exact thing. What is going on here, there is no water inside the motor, already checked for that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Quad411 View Post
    I have a buddy of mine who blew his 2000 GTX up. The rod came through on the right side of the motor, mainly taking out the reed cage and that portion of the engine. He bought another motor for it off e-bay. 6 hours into riding it, it did the same exact thing. What is going on here, there is no water inside the motor, already checked for that.
    Do you still use the oil injection on it or are you running pre mix. If you use the injection, check the pump if it flows the way it should be. I would ditch the whole system itself though and run pre mix anyway. You didn't mention if the engine got COMPLETLY changed or are you still using the same carbs, rave valves, electronics from the old engine. check the carb settings to see if it runs to lean. Also does it only throws the rod or does it take out the top end with it. Most of the time it does that from lack of lubrication. If it's possible can you post some pics to see how it looks. Were the rods discolored etc. that a indication of a lot of heat and lack of oil.

Yea...is there any oil going into the motor???

It just throws out the rod, on the big bearing. When it throws it, it goes through the reed cage, on the side of the motor closest to the back of the jetski. The oil injection was oil tested when the motor was re-installed, and it worked fine. The lines are full of oil right now. When the motor was replaced, it was the whole motor minus the carbs, which where cleaned out. I've worked on several atv motors myself, and the pieces of the rod, look like brand new.

+1
    It just throws out the rod, on the big bearing. When it throws it, it goes through the reed cage, on the side of the motor closest to the back of the jetski. The oil injection was oil tested when the motor was re-installed, and it worked fine. The lines are full of oil right now. When the motor was replaced, it was the whole motor minus the carbs, which where cleaned out. I've worked on several atv motors myself, and the pieces of the rod, look like brand new.
    I think you have to look at the carbs. They may be too lean, altough the top end should suffer first then. Try remove the oil injection and pre mix. Before that check the carb for jetting and settings. You'll find an shop manual on this site, download it and look it up. Check if the engine doesn't has an air leak. If after all of that it still blows, I think the craft is then ready for Ripley's Believe It or Not. Altough I still believe it's an lubrication failure somewhere somehow. Cranks don't blow up that easy unless improper assymblement and/or installment or not trued correctly other then normal wear and tear.

+1
    post a photo of the top of the piston, and the crank/rod area where it broke.....otherwise your just spinning your wheels

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    This is what happens to a 951 that has previously been hydrolocked.
    They last normally less than 10 hours after gulping water.

Tip for the day: Never buy an engine off ebay without a warranty!

Do they make VooDoo GTX's. Is your buddy the victim of a curse?

96XPSS is right I have seen more than one do exactly the same thing. Are you running aftermarket F/A's or the stock air box with the horns and flaps.? Is the exaust been installed correctly including the rapp arround ? Does the exaust pipe have an Oring? if so is it in perfect shape no cracks? or does it have a pink gasket. I like the factory gaskets.

Thread Information