Priming oil lines

Just curious, but I drained my oil tank and lines last year and am ready to take the ski out again. Is there and easy way to prime the lines to the carbs from the oil pump? its a 99 sltx 1050

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by brandoneastland View Post
    ...Is there and easy way to prime the lines to the carbs from the oil pump?
    its a 99 SLTX 1050
    Search is your Green Hulk best friend.

Priming oil pump and lines.

Note: You cannot search for words with three letters or less, so don't search for 'oil'.
    Search for words like pump, lines, prime...

Thanks for the link. I for some reason tried the search and didn't find what I was looking for. I maybe dumb with it tho. lol

Could I just pre-mix a few gallons of gas and run that until the lines prime themselves? Lets say like 3 gallons at 50:1 and by the time I finish that fuel off the lines should be primed all the way through?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by brandoneastland View Post
    Could I just pre-mix a few gallons of gas and run that until the lines prime themselves?
    Lets say like 3 gallons at 50:1 and by the time I finish that fuel off the lines should be primed all the way through?
    40:1 is the normal pre-mix oil ratio, unless you are breaking in new engine top end (rings, cylinders), in which case it is 32:1.

Yes, you can run pre-mix fuel. Put a small amount of 2-stoke oil down the carbs first, and be sure to mix the oil into the fuel in the tank well. You have straight gasoline in the carbs and fuel lines, so the first few minutes would be the most critical in terms of keeping the engine lubed while the oil pump gets all the air out.

You should be able to get most of the air out of the oil pump feed line from the tank. Just disconnect at the pump, let gravity flow some oil out, and reconnect it. Keep lots of rags handy, and under the oil pump to catch all the drips. Wipe everything up well, so you can tell if you have an oil leak later on.

I think the domestic engine oil pumps have a purge fitting on the pump, but I am not familiar with how that would work. Check the Service Manual.

As soon as the engine starts, manually move the oil pump arm all the way forward to 100% flow. That will move the oil faster through the lines at idle. You should be able to see the bubbles moving along (slowly, even at 100% flow). Make sure the pump to throttle linkage/cable is all working as it should.

Once the oil pump is injecting oil, you will be running oil rich, so it will smoke more. Be sure to check or replace the spark plugs if they get too mucked up with oil.

Stay away from fast throttle openings until you are 100% sure all the air is out of the oil lines, and the oil system is working as it should.

Also, with a low fuel level, you may see warnings or an RPM limiting until you fill the fuel tank more.

Wow, that was perfect. I'll go try it tomorrow. It shouldn't be a problem. I just didn't want to mess it up. Thanks a lot!!!!!!

Thread Information