Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Water Skiing and Wakeboarding with 07 speedster 215hp

Any thoughts on the performance of this model for skiing and wakeboarding. The boat I am looking at has the tower included.
    Thanks

I have the 07 215hp with the tower.

My wife and I wakeboard and we have skiis, tubes and all sorts of other towables.

We don't have any problem getting wakeboarders or skiers up, in fact you have to take it easy on the throttle or you'll pull their arms off, and this weekend we had 3 people on a big 3-man tube and it pulled it with no problem.

The 150 doesn't cut a big wake, and the jet wash does seem to pop up right in a tuber's face if going 30mph, so if you are looking for major wake jumping you might want the Speedster Wake instead and for the jet wash just get a longer rope.

Thanks

Are any of the skiers that you have towed done any slalom? I am wondering if someone making a cut will pull the boat around. I have a couple of people that are into slalom and usually ski behind "ski boats". I want to make sure that I get boat that can handle it before I invest.

thanks again.

Personal opinion....

I used to own a speedster 150 and now I own a C180. I have towed slalom skiiers, who know how to ski, behind both boats and it sucked for them and me.
    It is very hard to keep the speed of these jets boats constant and on track when the skiier pulls hard laterally.
    Don't get me wrong I love jet boats for a lot of other reasons but if you are buying it to do some serious slalom then you should look at a REAL ski boat.

On the flip side I like to ski and both boats served me well in that respect but I am also a pretty poor skiier and could never generate enough pull on one ski to cause an issue.

+1
    I wakeboard alot and the 200 is a great boat for it. The 150 is just too small. The 200 is a good size and still a blast when you are just out driving it.

FWIW, our C2K with Mercury 240EFI does a GREAT job...

I realize this is a different boat and engine, but my experiences suggest the earlier respondent's comments about jet boats not being good for skiing don't apply to ALL jetboats.

Skiers: I have a tower on my C2K and pull slalom and double skiers, wakeboarders, and kneeboarders from the tower. Some of the slalom skiers I pull are near-professional and cut very hard at their preferred speeds of 32 MPH (and up!). I have zero difficulty maintaining speed and direction. Yes, I can feel them as they leverage against the tow point seven feet off the waterline, but it's more of a "tilt" feel - there's no effect on boat speed or direction.

Boarders: I agree that the hull doesn't generate much of a wake for boarders. The best speed for board sports seems to be around 20 MPH, which yields a decent beginner-intermediate wake. If you're going to do advanced wake-based work you should get a hull that is designed to create advanced wakes.

Power: I can't speak for the 4-stroke powered boats. But our 240EFI has actually injured at least one professional slalom skier who insisted that I start him at WOT (sprained or broke his wrist, and broke the tow handle). His comment afterwards: "I've never felt anything pull so hard." Strong acceleration is a known advantage of jets over exposed props so I would expect similar performance from the later engines. Don't worry about power.

Hope this helps!

WAPWC,
    I wont argue with anything you said in your last post except there is no way a jet drive has ANY advantage over prop driven boats when it comes to strong acceleration. Yes they do come to a plane quicker but dont have near the pulling power a stern drive has.

Quote Originally Posted by cfnnslsq View Post
    WAPWC,
    I wont argue with anything you said in your last post except there is no way a jet drive has ANY advantage over prop driven boats when it comes to strong acceleration. Yes they do come to a plane quicker but dont have near the pulling power a stern drive has.
    0-30mph times are faster than a Fountain, Cigarette or Baja.

I agree that they don't have the sheer pulling power if you were pulling stumps or something but they certainly have massive accelleration, which with one skiier sure makes it feel stronger. Just as a 1-ton pickup truck has more pulling power than a Corvette, if you were tied to both of them I can tell you which one would yank your arms off first.

Like said before if your main purpose is sking and wakeboarding i personally wouldnt get this boat. I have wakeboarded behind it without out a tower and even though a tower would have help the boat throws down a wake that isnt anywhere close to a inboard, it is smaller and nowhere near as crisp and if you plann on using a rope thats 60 to 65 feet dont even try that splash from the jet make you want to never use the boat again for that.

Secondly you cant take enough of your friends out i think max passenger rating is 4 or 5 so thats were in inboard wins too

But if you want a boat that does 60, handles on a rails and is great for tubing go ahead

Ps send your supercharger to jerry for his washers

The jetboat I'm describing seats eight...

Quote Originally Posted by scarp9 View Post
    Secondly you cant take enough of your friends out i think max passenger rating is 4 or 5 so thats were in inboard wins too
    My C2K carries eight comfortably (eight separate seats) and more in a pinch. Passenger rating is eight on the sticker. So not all jetboats have low passenger count. Those that are just glorified jetskis often do, though, and they often use jetski engines too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information