Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GTX-help ideas

GTX-help ideas

Guys, got a 99 GTX rfi...here's the deal. Starts, runs, all is great. After long rides or all day start/stops(wife drives it...around boats its on...off...on...off...then boom-just clicks at solenoid-starter relay...and its hot...the rectifier assembly on top of the rear electrical box is hot also...so I take rear seat off, take box cover off...let them cool...15-20 minutes...fires right up...has doen this 2-3 times over last week or so...anyone experienced this? I thought the starter bendix was locking up...nope its new last year when I did the rebuild, it spnis fine, teeth on stator good,etc...its something in the electrical dept. battery is new/good also...any help appreciated...I know what the starter rely does, I do not know the real purpose of the rectifier or if it would have anything at all to do with starting.
    Thanks!

OK...anyone...anyone...

+1
    the rectifiers for your ski were notorious for going bad. does your 12V low light come on? the rectifier charges your battery. the rfi skiis are very sensitive to low voltage. if it is just a bit low, it will not start. could explain why the ski doesn't start right away. after a few minutes the voltage comes back up.

Just took a quick peak at the electrical on your machine. The rectifier will get hot since it has to capacitate and deal with the voltage output of the stator, hence the purpose of the cooling fins. It's to be expected too for a hot starter solenoid when being used as often as you describe. Going by what I can see in the manual your coil is in the same box as the starter solenoid. I would test the coil for any resistance in the primary winding. Sometimes when coils are getting tired they will break-down when hot but after cooling they are good until hot again. You may still get spark if you pull the plugs and test it when it does that, but it may not be enough spark when under load to overcome the compression or ignite the fuel charge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99 Sea-Doo Coil Testing.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	948.9 KB 
ID:	81791  

Very good info, thank you...while this was posting I installed a computer fan in the box, just to see if it will help, I will check the coil tonight.
    Thank you.

Let us no know what you find and we're all happy to help out

+1
    Coil on RFIs is not in a electric box,its at the other end of the spark plug wires usually under the center seat bracket.

The spark out of a RFI coil will knock you on your azz......

Haha! I've heard about some different marine set-ups...OMC made an old set-up that cranked out some rediculous charge...apparently you could just turn the flywheel a half turn and it was enough jolt to start the engine! This may sound impossible but for some reason 250,000 volts comes to mind? It can't be too far off when they make hand held tasers with a half million output

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post
    Coil on RFIs is not in a electric box,its at the other end of the spark plug wires usually under the center seat bracket.

The spark out of a RFI coil will knock you on your azz......
    Worx, tell him what is in his black box because I've never dug in one. It sounds like his solenoid is getting hot, from a weak coil (inside the solenoid), or corroded connection on top his box.

Rectifiers don't cause the solenoid to randomly "click."

I cleaned all connections and tightened, and I added a computer fan with toggle switch, drilled a few very small breathe/air holes on side of the box casing, should be no water getting in there unless the thing sinks...so I haven't had a chance to try it out and see if this will work or if I am going to have to start replacing parts.
    Question? Why would the solenoid and the box on top (rectifier) get so hot....just from the current passing to and fro at starting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information