Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help Please

Help Please

About one year ago, my 2000 XL 1200 LTD was having some serious issues just getting started much less going WOT from a stand still. So, I took it to a buddy to work on it. Come to find out, I was COMPLETELY missing one power valve, and had 2 other damaged valves. Plus badly damaged pistons. So, we completely replaced the top end of the motor with new valves and pistons. While he had the pieces out we also noticed that my Cat had been destroyed. I no longer had any of the honeycomb material inside the converter. After everything was re-installed she ran like she was brand new again. Well, this past weekend, I had my Exhaust Temp sensor go off 4 seperate times. I was told that I needed the D plate to do away with the Cat and also the sensor chip. But what I am wondering is, since I no longer have a working cat I assume I should install the Riva sensor chip without the D Plate? If so, how complicated is the install of the chip? I will be searching these forums more thoroughly, but any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Da Wolf

+1
    you need to install the D-plate with the cat temp sensor together. I would also make sure "all" the peices of the old catalytic converter are gone from the stinger portion of the exhaust and the waterbox.

chip
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=118

D-plate
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=124
    Last edited by RX951; 07-07-2008 at 06:44 PM.

I still need to D plate even if there are no parts of my cat left in the converter?? And I quess my question here would be why would I still need the D plate if I no longer have any of my Cat left in the system?

And we did check to make sure everything was out, and it is. There is no more remains of my Cat left in the system.

And how easy is the Chip install?

you need the proper backpressure for the engine to perform properly. The D-Plate blocks part of the exhaust just like the cat would.

So, even now with a blown out Cat, I probably do not have the proper back pressure? Even if the engine and everything is running fine (except for the exhaust temp). Sorry, if I seem ignorant or dumb on the issue, but I have no knowledge of these kind of motors. Although I know alot about auto motors, but just not ski motors.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RHeller1 View Post
    you need the proper backpressure for the engine to perform properly. The D-Plate blocks part of the exhaust just like the cat would.
    correct

Ok, so I found out how to install the D plate. Is there a how to or a link that tells how to install the Chip sensor?

That's easy part! Just unplug the sensor located at the top left side right in front of battery bucket and plug in the sensor.

My temp sensor is located at the cat at the base of the motor in the exhaust in the engine bay. The battery bucket is on the other side of the wall where the water box and resinator is located. So, the sensor wire runs all the way through the wall and to the battery box? Once I pull the sensor from the exhuast pipe, the sensor chip I need to install is not installed in the electrical box in the engine bay?

+1
    The chip plugs into the cdi (computer box) where the end of the sensor wire plugs in. After that, you can either zip tie the wire out and leave the sensor in the pipe or remove the sensor and replace with a proper size 'oil drain plug' per WFO instructions; pm WFO for size of drain plug if you wish to go this route.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information